Cudder is back

Kid Cudi’s return to hip-hop is satisfying, right direction

Scott Mescudi, known as Kid Cudi, has long been one of music’s most polarizing figures. Since 2008 he has gradually defined a completely original sound. For better or worse, he’s continued to experiment with themes otherwise foreign to hip-hop, and has brought unique musical influence to the genre — be it a Vampire Weekend sample or a tradition of collaborations with Ratatat. “Indicud” featured ambient synths more fitting for a science fiction soundtrack, while throughout his “Man on the Moon” series Cudi introduced an introspective, nearly self-loathing lyricism to a space lacking this sort of expression.

Following his last hip-hop record, “Speedin’ Bullet 2 Heaven,” the Cleveland artist drifted away from the genre of his roots and toward a poorly executed, self-described “alternative rock” sound. With “Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin’” — his sixth studio album — Cudi makes a desperately needed return to his early innovative style.

Ultimately the album feels like the necessary progression of Cudi’s electronic, psychedelic sound and draws from the defining qualities of his discography in both content and form. Tracks such as “Frequency” and “Dance 4 Eternity” offer the moody, nearly erotic energy of “Man on the Moon II,” while “ILLusions” and “By Design” are as poppy and uplifting as the hits on Cudi’s first “Man on the Moon.”

To the credit of producers Plain Pat, Mike Dean, Dot da Genius and Pharrell Williams, “Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin’” brings beautiful string arrangements, heavy hitting drums, deep, melodic bass lines and the epic synths reminiscent of his self-produced “Indicud.”

As expected, Cudi’s lyrics are raw and emotional but not terribly complex or diverse, and on a few unfortunate tracks are almost too cringe-worthy to sit through. Outside of Andre 3000’s two impressive appearances there isn’t a whole lot going on lyrically for the album. While his psychedelic influence has the potential to be interesting — and has been in past projects — Cudi’s reference to some ambiguous “frequency” throughout the project ultimately disappoints.

However, Cudi’s vocal performance shines in his unmistakable harmonizing and on a few standout hooks in which he offers a glimpse into his life-long mental struggles.

Following a trend in many of the year’s most notable releases — “Blonde,” “Views” and “The Life of Pablo” — the greatest drawback of Cudi’s most recent album is its length and lack of structure. At 86 minutes and 19 tracks, the record is dragged down by excessive filler and unnecessary, repetitive moaning.

When the record is at its highest, it shines with creativity and with distinctive and nostalgic Cudi flavor. It may not be the coveted third installment of “Man on the Moon,” but “Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin’” is fortunately following a similar path.