Amid drinking, inclusivity concerns, Lighting of the Lawn attempts to promote unity

LOTL committee responds to events of previous years

<p>The Lighting of the Lawn committee increased its audio-visual budget this year to allow better quality broadcasts of the performances.&nbsp;</p>

The Lighting of the Lawn committee increased its audio-visual budget this year to allow better quality broadcasts of the performances. 

Concerns about alcohol consumption and inclusivity have been voiced by administration and students in advance of the 16th annual Lighting of the Lawn, or LOTL.

At last year’s LOTL, while attendees were singing the Good Old Song, a group of University-aged male students voiced a gay slur to a gay couple in attendance.

One of the individuals targeted was University LGBTQ Center Program Coordinator Scott Rheinheimer, who, along with his boyfriend, left after the incident because he did not feel safe.

University President Teresa Sullivan and Provost Thomas Katsouleas released a statement the following day calling for a collaborative effort to uphold the University’s community of trust and create a welcoming and inclusive environment.

In wake of a particularly contemplative past few years at the University, this year’s event will reflect an atmosphere of safety and inclusion, the LOTL committee said on its website.

There will be several new structural changes to the event to promote an inclusive environment this year, LOTL Committee Chairs Matt Golden, a fourth-year College student, and Katie Kozlowski, a fourth-year Curry student, said.

“One of our priorities is to make sure that everyone feels welcome at the event,” Golden and Kozlowski said in an email statement.

In order to do this, the committee incorporated various University performance groups and the broader Charlottesville community.The committee also increased its audio-visual budget “to ensure more attendees will be able to hear during the event and have a positive experience” and is hosting a livestream of the event, Golden and Kozlowski said.

Marsh Pattie, University assistant vice president for student affairs, echoed Golden and Kozlowski’s goal of inclusivity.

“In the spirit of the holiday season, we hope everyone will come together and enjoy the gathering as valued and respected members of our University and Charlottesville communities,” Pattie said. “To that end, we expect everyone to engage one another with civility and respect.”

Fourth Year Trustees communicated to the LOTL committee as early as last spring that important aspects of the event should be an attitude of inclusivity and an excitement from everyone to attend.

“Because it's presented to the broader University community, no one should feel left out or marginalized,” Fourth Year Trustees President Patrick Rice, an Engineering student, said.

While there have been no explicit threats to cancel the event as a result of student behavior in the future, the department of the vice president of student affairs offered a strong suggestion to the University community to foster a change in student alcohol consumption for the event, Rice said.

Pattie emphasized that alcohol is not permitted on the Lawn, regardless of age.

Lawn residents themselves may not host parties exceeding 40 people in attendance, and alcohol served from their rooms must be in an opaque cup. Residents are encouraged to refrain from hosting events until major University events like LOTL have concluded.

Since most Lawn residents are of drinking age, there are no regulations prohibiting the consumption of alcohol within their private rooms. However, Trustees, the LOTL committee and Housing and Residence Life have made sure to communicate this year’s agenda with all residents.

“The primary focus of the event … has never been on drinking or partying on the Lawn,” DeAnza Cook, fourth-year College student and senior resident of the Lawn, said. “Rather, we hope to continue to foster a sense of holiday cheer and camaraderie with our fellow Wahoos on one of the most exciting occasions of the year.”