Jun 25, 2017

SPORTS

No. 12 men's basketball makes statement against No. 6 Louisville

spmbballhallrdizon

Junior guard Devon Hall led the Cavaliers with 10 points and six rebounds as they dominated No. 6 Louisville on the road. 

The No. 12 Virginia men’s basketball team kicked off its ACC schedule with a 61-53 win at the KFC Yum! Center against No. 6 Louisville. With the victory, the Cavaliers (11-1, 1-0 ACC) improved to 4-1 in ACC action against coach Rick Pitino under coach Tony Bennett. The win opened conference play for both schools, and came just after the Cardinals (11-2, 0-1 ACC) defeated No. 8 Kentucky at the KFC Yum! Center Dec. 21.

Virginia led by as many as 21 points during the game, but allowed Louisville to close the gap and threaten in the second half with a 12-1 run. Junior guard Quentin Snider, sophomore forward Deng Adel and graduate senior guard Tony Hicks each recorded eight points to lead the Cardinals in scoring.

However, the Virginia’s effort in the first half allowed Virginia to outlast the Cardinals. The Cavaliers held Louisville, who entered the contest averaging 78 points per game, to just 21 points at halftime. Virginia also forced the Cardinals to commit 14 turnovers during the game.

Junior guard Devon Hall led the Cavaliers with 10 points while grabbing six rebounds. Senior point guard London Perrantes and freshman guard Kyle Guy followed closely behind with nine points apiece. Perrantes also led the Cavaliers with seven assists, moving to fifth place on Virginia’s all-time assist list.

The Cavaliers will look to extend their winning conference record when they face No. 20 Florida State Saturday in Charlottesville at John Paul Jones Arena. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.

Published December 29, 2016 in M Basketball, Sports