“Hallelujah Money” is a timely tour de force

New Gorillaz single asks important yet frightening questions

<p>Gorillaz first single in six years was released Jan. 19.</p>

Gorillaz first single in six years was released Jan. 19.

Gorillaz, a digital band created by Damon Albarn, was a flagship of alternative music in the early 2000s. Backed by a group of fictional characters portrayed as cartoons, Albarn and his band created countless memorable songs throughout the first years of their existence.

“Hallelujah Money” — released Jan. 19 — is the first official release from the band in over six years and features Albarn collaborating extensively with British poet and musician Benjamin Clementine. The single was released the day before the presidential inauguration — anything but a coincidence, as the song’s narrative echoes recent events within American politics.

The song opens bizarrely, with Clementine in the role of a ruler who views the land he governs as a “tree.” This fictional ruler promised his subjects a perfect world, which he feels is threatened by “scarecrows from the far east.” Clementine sings about isolationism and assures his people that they only need to trust in him and his power, a relevant reflection of the current political discussions and issues in America.

Throughout the single, Clementine repeats the title line “hallelujah money,” symbolizing rulers obsessed with their own personal gain. Albarn also interjects with questions that are sung but never answered. This is a portrayal of trusted rulers basking in their own success while ignoring the questions of their citizens.

The message of “Hallelujah Money” is carried most strikingly by the music backing Albarn and Clementine’s lyrics. During the moments when Clementine’s character speaks to his people, the background music is in typical Gorillaz style — sparse electronic sounds. However, the tone and key of these sounds create a more ominous effect than the Gorillaz have ever produced before.

The menacing tone contrasts sharply to when Clementine sings his praises of money. The music quickly changes, becoming a heavenly meshing of choral voices and lush string sections. At the core of “Hallelujah Money” is a ruler in the heavenly bliss of his own wealth and power while the people he has sworn to lead and protect look on, unsure of the future ahead of them. It’s a timely message, and a haunting one.