​Perrantes carries men’s basketball over Clemson

<p>Senior guard London Perrantes scored a season-high 25 points in Virginia's win Saturday against Clemson.</p>

Senior guard London Perrantes scored a season-high 25 points in Virginia's win Saturday against Clemson.

Behind a season-high 25 points from senior guard London Perrantes, the No. 19 Virginia men’s basketball team overcame a sloppy performance to defeat Clemson, 77-73, at Littlejohn Coliseum. In allowing their second most points of the season, the Cavaliers (13-3, 3-2 ACC) shot 58 percent from the floor, including 60 percent in the second half.

Virginia committed 16 turnovers to give up a season high 23 points off turnovers. The Tigers (11-6, 1-4) outscored the Cavaliers in the paint, 42-18, and added 10 fast break points while converting on 62.5 percent of their field goal attempts.

Saturday marked the second-straight 20-point game for Perrantes after scoring 24 against Wake Forest Jan. 8. The Los Angeles, Calif native converted on 4-of-8 three point attempts, none bigger than his triple to break a 70-70 tie with 2:05 to play after the Cavaliers blew a 9-point second half lead.

Junior guard Marial Shayok added 17 points to match his career high for the second consecutive game. He played a game-high 36 minutes for Virginia.

Junior forward Isaiah Wilkins chipped in eight points in 31 minutes while tying a career-high with 13 rebounds, including four on the offensive glass.

Senior forward Jaron Blossomgame led Clemson with 22 points and six rebounds on the afternoon. His 10-of-14 performance kept the Tigers in the game late when it appeared the Cavaliers might pull away.

Virginia will next face Boston College Wednesday in Chestnut Hill, Mass. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m.