Swimming loses final meet of season to NC State

After a week of hard training, the Virginia men’s and women’s swim teams both fell short of victory in last weekend’s matchup with North Carolina State. The No. 13 Cavalier men’s team (5-2, 4-1 ACC) lost to No. 3 NC State, 177-109, while the No. 5 Virginia women’s team (6-1, 4-1 ACC) fell short to No. 9 NC State (3-1, 1-1 ACC) by a close margin of 153-147.

The women’s events were so competitive that the meet itself came down to the final event, the 200-yard freestyle relay. NC State won with a time of 1:28.77. Overall the Virginia women won seven events and featured stellar performances by senior Leah Smith and senior Laura Simon.

Sophomore Kirsten Parkinson of the Virginia women’s diving team had an outstanding performance, sweeping all of her diving events. Senior Austin Quinn of the men’s team had a solid outing — placing second in the 400 IM — while sophomore Zach Fong finished second in the 200-yard butterfly.

Despite the loss, the Cavaliers will build off of this meet as they prepare for the ACC and NCAA championships. The strong competition they faced against NC State should serve as good preparation.

The women’s ACC championships are scheduled from Monday, Feb. 13 until Thursday, Feb. 16, while the men’s ACC championships are scheduled from Monday, Feb. 27 until Thursday, March 2. Both competitions will take place in Atlanta, Ga.