Engineering online graduate program ranked top 15 in country

Well-trained faculty contribute to high ranking

<p>Thornton Hall is home to the Engineering School.&nbsp;</p>

Thornton Hall is home to the Engineering School. 

The University’s online graduate engineering program was recently ranked in the top 15 programs in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The program’s ranking dramatically improved in recent rankings, from 54th place in 2014.

The ranking is determined by five different categories — student engagement, faculty credentials and training, peer reputation, student services and technology and admissions selectivity — according to the U.S. News website. The program’s highest ranking came from the faculty’s credentials and training, in which they scored a 93 out of 100.

The Commonwealth Graduate Engineering Program currently offers Master of Engineering degrees in several fields — including chemical engineering, civil and environmental engineering and systems engineering — in partnership with George Mason University, Virginia Tech, Old Dominion University and Virginia Commonwealth University.

Stephen Wilson, an advisor for CGEP and professor of electrical engineering at the University, attributes the ranking to several factors.

“The program is not huge,” Wilson said. “The administration has been very supportive, going back a long ways, of trying to grow the program. We’ve got strong faculty — regular research-active faculty teaching in the classes. It’s easy to answer questions in real time, as opposed to pre-recorded lectures.”

The program is integrated with the regular graduate degree programs at the University.

“[It] combines the distance learning classes with regular classrooms so it’s not a big burden on teachers here,” Wilson said.

The program also benefits graduate students on Grounds, he added.

“Even our own grad students here in regular degree programs take online classes from time to time,” Wilson said.

Moving forward, Jennifer Mauller, online programs coordinator for CGEP, said she hopes the program will grow to serve the people who need it.

“We want to fit a need — companies are sending us their employees to gain new skills needed in their jobs,” Mauller said.

CGEP is also working to provide enough space for students.

“We have finite space with our classes, so we’re finding that another need is having a space available for students to take classes,” Mauller said. “We have online learners and most of them are working professionals, but some students who are on Grounds need our classes too, and when class capacity has been met they can sign up for the online sections.”

Moving forward, Wilson said he would like to see the program become a little larger in terms of degree participants.

“I’m sure it’s going to be well-supported going down the road,” Wilson said. “It’s something the school is committed to, and the state has been from the get-go.”