“Life Without Sound” brings both welcome growth, familiar favorites

Cloud Nothings’ latest is loud, open

<p>Cloud Nothings' latest album "Life Without Sound" sets the band apart from&nbsp;the current indie rock crowd.</p>

Cloud Nothings' latest album "Life Without Sound" sets the band apart from the current indie rock crowd.

In the oversaturated world of modern indie rock, it takes something special to stand out from the bespectacled, beanie-wearing and beard-toting masses who fill the opening act slots of every dive bar in America. Yet, if there is any band that has proven its ability to distinguish itself from the crowd, it would have to be Cleveland-rock outfit Cloud Nothings.

Since its debut in 2010 with the poppy sounds of “Turning On”, the band has explored an incredible range of sounds, landing everywhere from the grungy lo-fi jams of “Here and Nowhere Else” to the early emo sounds of “Attack on Memory.” That being said, “Life Without Sound” may be one of the band’s most stylistically varied albums yet.

Instrumentally, “Life Without Sound” has all the hallmarks of Cloud Nothings’ discography, putting forth the usual ensemble of electric guitars, bass and drums alongside lead singer Dylan Baldi’s vocals. In fact, aside from some flitting appearances by a piano on tracks like “Up to the Surface,” there isn’t much deviation from Cloud Nothings’ standard instrumentation. Despite this, “Life Without Sound” presents one of the band’s best efforts at a full spectrum of diverse sound.

Tracks like “Strange Year” blend growling basslines and drum crashes with Baldi’s hoarse, screaming vocals to create a distinctly sinister experience. Conversely, tracks like “Things are Right with You” exude comfort and positivity in a borderline pop-rock style, layering on upbeat power chords in its guitar section to match Baldi’s smoother, gentler vocal delivery. Tracks like “Darkened Rings” even bring back memories of the band’s previous punk rock style with its speedy guitars and vitriol-filled shouting and singing.

However, it is not only in its production that “Life Without Sound” displays artistic growth on Cloud Nothings’ part, as the album’s lyrics are different from anything else in the band’s discography. While past endeavors like “Here and Nowhere Else” were chock-full of angsty verses about the internal struggles one undergoes in early life, “Life Without Sound” embraces a far wider scope of thought in its lyrics.

On “Modern Act,” Baldi confesses he “can’t stand” the title’s concept, targeting his unease of aspects of modern society with questions like “Whose war is this, what god is that?” Earlier, on the track “Internal World,” Baldi breaks down the faking of outer-appearance to conform to dubious societal standards. This kind of subject matter reaches far beyond that of the band’s past — which was contained within a largely personal sphere — by drawing back their songwriting in order to create a lens that examines life more holistically.

There is no doubt that “Life Without Sound” demonstrates some tremendous growth on the part of Cloud Nothings. It may not craft personal connections to the degree of “Attack on Memory” or have the raw lo-fi production energy of “Here and Nowhere Else”. But, for its variety in tone, lyrical content and style, it shouldn’t be overlooked.