Malcolm Brogdon to join Virginia greats

<p>Former Cavalier standout Malcolm Brogdon will be honored Monday before the Miami game. </p>

Former Cavalier standout Malcolm Brogdon will be honored Monday before the Miami game.

Malcolm Brogdon started as No. 22 and came to Virginia from Atlanta, Ga. in 2011 relatively unheralded, despite averaging 25.7 points in his high school senior season.

In 2016, he left Virginia as No. 15, first-team All-American, ACC Player of the year and proud recipient of a master’s degree.

The Virginia men’s basketball team retires the No. 15 jersey Monday night during halftime of the Cavaliers’ contest against Miami — No. 15 will remain Brogdon’s.

During his five years at Virginia, Brogdon helped lead the team to an ACC Tournament Championship, two ACC regular season championships and four NCAA Tournament appearances.

Individually, he ranked ninth on the Cavaliers’ all-time scoring list with 1,809 points. He also ranked first in free throw percentage (87.6), second in games played (136) and sixth in 3-point percentage (36.5).

Brogdon also earned All-ACC first-team honors three times. The Atlanta native earned ACC Player of the Year, ACC Defensive Player of the Year and NABC Defensive Player of the Year in his final season, becoming the first ACC player to win both Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the year at the same time.

Brogdon’s impressive 2016 season led him to an NBA career with the Milwaukee Bucks where he is currently in his rookie season — emerging as one of the league’s top rookies this year.

There’s much more to Brogdon beyond statistical strengths. He earned a bachelor’s degree in history from the College and completed the accelerated master’s in public policy from the Batten School.

He was honored with a Senior CLASS Award, named an Allstate NABC Good Works Team honoree and was a John R. Wooden Citizenship Cup finalist for his academic excellence and work in the community.

Both Brogdon’s impressive statistics line and his contributions to the University community factored into the program’s decision to retire his number Monday during halftime against Miami. Brogdon’s No. 15 jersey will join just seven other Cavalier legends whose numbers have a permanent place in Virginia basketball history.Monday’s game tips off at 7 p.m.