Softball goes 2-2 at Charleston Southern Buccaneer Invitational

<p>Senior middle infielder McKall Miller hit her third home run of the young season this weekend.</p>

Senior middle infielder McKall Miller hit her third home run of the young season this weekend.

In its second tournament of the season, the Virginia softball team evenly split wins and losses.

On the first day of the Charleston Southern Buccaneer Invitational, the Cavaliers (4-5) opened with an 11-3 win against ETSU. The Bucs (4-6) were coming off winning the AmerInn Classic last weekend, but that didn’t stop the Cavaliers from handily beating them. Virginia took the lead in the second inning with the help of a solo home run from junior Allison Davis, and maintained the lead the whole game.

Later in the day, the Cavaliers took on Charleston Southern in a contest where the Buccaneers (5-6) edged out Virginia 4-3. Senior McKall Miller recorded her third home run of the season in the close loss, and Davis notched another homer for herself. The Cavaliers finished the day with five home runs.

Day two of the tournament began with another matchup against East Tennessee State, where Virginia picked up an even more dominating win against the Bucs than the day before. The 9-0 win for Virginia marked the first shutout for sophomore pitcher Lacy Smith. Smith also collected her first career home run, with a two-run homer to end the game. The Cavaliers led the game from the first inning then extended it with a homer from sophomore Olivia Gott in the third inning. After picking up a few more runs as a result of poor defense from the Buccaneers, Virginia’s victory was a done-deal with Smith’s home run.

In the Cavaliers’ last game of the tournament, a strong pitching performance from UNC Wilmington gave the Seahawks (3-1) a 2-1 win over Virginia. The Cavaliers also put up a good pitching performance, with sophomore Erika Osherow only allowing one earned run in six innings. Offensively, Virginia was not able to get a hit until the fourth inning, and took until the sixth inning to get on the scoreboard with an RBI single from Gott. However, it was not enough to beat Wilmington in their first game of the season.

Another weekend on the road awaits the Cavaliers, as they are scheduled to play in the East Carolina Pirate Invitational next weekend. After that, Virginia will have its first home game against in-state rival Virginia Tech March 3.