​Speaker of the House announces he will not run for re-election

Howell’s retirement will mark second longest speakership in Virginia history

<p>Howell’s 15-year term as speaker is the second longest in Virginia history.</p>

Howell’s 15-year term as speaker is the second longest in Virginia history.

Speaker of the House of Delegates William J. Howell (R-Stafford) announced Monday he will not be running for re-election at the end of his term in January 2018. For Howell, this will conclude a 30-year career in the House and a 15-year term as speaker. Howell’s term as speaker is the second longest in Virginia history.

During his time as speaker, Howell capitalized on a growing Republican majority to push conservative policies. For example, under Howell, the House managed to block efforts by Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) for Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act.

Some of Howell’s most notable successes have been in transportation policy. Howell sponsored legislation in 2013 that raised $6 billion for a six-year transportation plan for road and transit projects. He also worked across the aisle with McAuliffe in creating SmartScale, a system that prioritized transportation projects based on specific factors such as congestion reduction and economic development.

One of Howell’s main policy goals was to move Virginia away from defined pension benefits and toward an optional retirement savings plan. Howell’s hope of reforming Virginia’s retirement savings plans remain unfinished, so it will be up to his successor and other House Republicans to carry on his vision.

Howell said his time as speaker was a privilege where he strived to honor the responsibility of bringing members of both parties together.

“Serving as the Speaker of the House for 15 years now truly has been the greatest professional honor of my life,” Howell said in a press release. “I believe the Office of Speaker rises above partisan politics. This is an institutional role, with constitutional and other attendant obligations that transcend the fractured moments that often drive our politics.”

Fairness remained a priority of Howell’s during his time as speaker, and his colleague Del. Dave Albo (R-Fairfax) said he always felt his ideas were fairly heard and considered when working with Howell.

“He always listened and let you make your pitch,” Albo said in an email to The Cavalier Daily. “Even though he may eventually disagree with what you were trying to do, he would not secretly crush your bill ‘behind closed doors.’”

House Minority Leader Del. David Toscano (D-Charlottesville) said Howell has left an impression on the House.

"Having dedicated the last three decades of his life to the Virginia House of Delegates, Speaker Howell is truly a historic figure in this chamber,” Toscano said in an email statement. “He has always valued and worked to preserve the integrity of the body."

Adam Kimelman, a second-year College student and College Republicans vice chair of campaign, said the College Republicans are sad to see Howell go, but wish him the best moving forward.

“He is one of the most pragmatic Republicans,” Kimelman said. “He was pretty much a speaker for all of our political lifetimes and it's definitely going to be a lot different without him.”

Howell said in his official statement he looks forward to travelling and spending time with his family in retirement.