​StudCo approves new CIO, discusses STI testing

Moot Court approved as CIO, representatives talk Student Health prices

<p>Student Council discussed the differing prices of STI testing between Student Health and the Charlottesville/Albemarle Health Department.</p>

Student Council discussed the differing prices of STI testing between Student Health and the Charlottesville/Albemarle Health Department.

In a brief Tuesday meeting, Student Council approved a new CIO — the International and European Tax Moot Court at U.Va. Members also discussed community concerns, including the prices of STI testing on Grounds.

Chair of the Representative Body Alex Cintron, a second-year College student, began the meeting with the bill regarding Moot Court.

“Our first bill for today is a CIO creation bill,” Cintron said.

The bill, SB 17-10, had been sponsored by MacKenzie Hodgson, a third-year Engineering student and Student Council’s Vice President for Organizations. The CIO would allow students to compete in an international competition in Belgium.

“The International and European Tax Moot Court at U.Va. competes in an annual international tax competition in Belgium. Throughout the year, members prepare both an oral and written advocacy component,” the bill read.

The CIO was approved by a majority vote among the representatives.

After the vote, David Birkenthal, a third-year College student and College representative, brought up a recent Cavalier Daily article on the prices of STI testing at Student Health.

“Basically, what it said was that at Student Health, you can get STI testing for a very high price,” Birkenthal said. “I think the headline says 18 to 220 dollars, while in Albemarle you can just do it for free.”

Birkenthal proposed reaching out to Student Health or conducting research to determine why the price might be higher on Grounds than at the Charlottesville/Albemarle Health Department, which offers free testing.

Third-year Curry student and Curry School representative Brett Curtis said the prices of testing are not as big an issue as it may seem because most testing done by Student Health should be covered by health insurance, so the price discrepancy shouldn’t affect students who get tested.

“Almost all of those are covered by your health insurance,” Curtis said, “And U.Va. requires all students to have health insurance which means it should be covered.”