Student Council to create survey on qualities of future president

Under new leadership, StudCo considers student input on presidential search committee

<p>Alex Cintron, a second-year College student, was recently elected Chair of the Representative Body.</p>

Alex Cintron, a second-year College student, was recently elected Chair of the Representative Body.

Student Council discussed the new presidential search committee — which will make a recommendation for University President Teresa Sullivan’s successor for when she steps down in 2018 — during their Tuesday meeting.

The meeting also marked a change in Student Council’s leadership, following third-year Curry student Brett Curtis’s resignation as chair of the Representative Body. Alex Cintron, a second-year College student, presided over the meeting after being elected to fill Curtis’ former position.

Curtis said he had enjoyed his time as chair, but felt it was time to pass the responsibility on to someone else.

“I think it’s time for the next person to step in,” he said.

Curtis said Student Council’s mission should be to act as a more representative voice for the student body, and feels they are moving in the right direction. Though Curtis will no longer lead the Representative Body, he will continue to be a part of Student Council.

“I’m going to remain as a representative,” he said.

He said Student Council’s resolution in support of a plaque honoring Captain Humayun Khan, a 2000 University graduate who was killed in Iraq, was one of the council’s biggest accomplishments during his time as chair.

In December, the University Board of Visitors approved a plaque to be placed at the Rotunda.

Cintron, who was previously the council historian, said Curtis’s impact as chair of the Representative Body was significant.

“A lot of good things came out of his Chairmanship,” Cintron said.

Cintron said his vision of student governance is focused on the future.

“One of my biggest beliefs is that student governance is about looking forward,” he said. “It’s all about looking to the future.”

Cintron said he hopes to carry on Curtis’s success as he takes on the position.

During the meeting, council members discussed the recently announced search committee which will be tasked with finding the University’s ninth president. The committee includes two student members — third-year Law and Darden student and student Board of Visitors member Phoebe Willis and fourth-year College student Aryn Frazier.

Emily Lodge, a fourth-year Batten student and Student Council President, took issue with the limited number of student seats currently allotted to the committee, saying the number of student representatives is disproportionate to the representation granted to alumni and other groups.

“It’s my personal opinion that two [student members] is not enough,” Lodge said.

David Birkenthal and Austin Gogal, both third-year College students and College representatives, agreed with her. Birkenthal said four student members would be an ideal number.

Lodge proposed a survey to be sent out to the student body to gather input on what qualities students would value in the new president. She then opened the floor for suggestions from council members of which qualities the survey should include. Council members suggested qualities like compassionate, personable, experienced and open-minded.

Erich Reimer, a Law school representative and third-year Law student, said he hoped the next president would be “focused on all students, graduate and undergraduate.”

Birkenthal also said the new president should have a strong background in taking care of students and their wellbeing.

“We want someone who has experience in student affairs,” he suggested.

The council resolved to send out the survey with the suggested qualities as options, to see which are most widely valued by the University.