Apr 26, 2017

SPORTS

Weekend previews, Feb. 10-12

'The Skinny' on weekend action for women’s basketball, men’s tennis

spwbballmasoncacollins

Senior guard Breyana Mason will look to lead the Cavaliers against ACC rival Wake Forest.

Women’s basketball

What: Virginia (15-9, 4-7 ACC) vs. Wake Forest (14-10, 5-6 ACC)

Where: John Paul Jones Arena, Charlottesville

When: Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

The Skinny: Two ACC teams clash Sunday when Virginia takes on Wake Forest at John Paul Jones Arena.

Virginia’s play in the conference has been largely inconsistent, trading wins and losses for the last few weeks. The team looked overmatched against No. 15 Duke Sunday, and lost 63-52 against No. 16 Miami Thursday on the road after a good week of practice. The Cavaliers boast the second-best scoring defense in the ACC, allowing only 54.6 points per game, but have been plagued by turnovers on the offensive side in recent games. Getting a solid scoring balance has been the key to success in Virginia’s wins, and the breakout seasons of freshman guards Jocelyn Willoughby and Dominique Toussaint have been a boon to the team’s offensive versatility.

Wake Forest comes into the matchup Sunday as a team very similar to the Cavaliers, having beaten up on some of the ACC’s weaker teams while looking overmatched against the top-tier squads. The Demon Deacons won a defensive struggle against Pittsburgh, 57-48, but dropped the two games prior to that against ranked Duke and Miami. Most recently they fell to ACC Leader No. 5 Florida State, 102-60, on the road, and will come into Charlottesville battle-tested.

The winner of this matchup of bubble teams will likely keep its NCAA Tournament hopes alive with a respectable ACC record, while the other may have to look towards next season.

— compiled by Alec Dougherty

Men’s tennis

What: No. 1 Virginia (3-0, 1-0 ACC) vs. No. 6 Florida (6-0, 0-0 SEC); Virginia vs. No. 17 Illinois (2-2, 0-0 Big Ten)

Where: Boar's Head Sports Club, Charlottesville

When: Saturday, 5 p.m. and Tuesday, 5 p.m., respectively

The Skinny: The Virginia men’s tennis team will finally play their home opener, as they get ready to host two of the top teams in the nation — Florida and Illinois. The Cavaliers have gotten off to a strong start this season and have plenty of momentum coming off a 7-0 win over Louisville. The highly anticipated match against Florida features two top-10 teams and Virginia will look to affirm its position as the best team in the country with a win. The Cavaliers will then get two days off before playing a midweek match against Illinois Tuesday. Illinois is also ranked and will pose a plethora of threats for Virginia. The conclusion of the Illinois match will begin a lengthy break from regular season play for Virginia, as they won’t take on an opponent until March 18 when they travel to Notre Dame, Ind. to begin a long stretch of conference play.

— compiled by Rahul Shah

Published February 10, 2017 in W Basketball, Sports