Weekend Previews: Feb. 24-26

'The Skinny' on weekend action for women’s basketball, softball

<p>Sophomore&nbsp;Olivia Gott currently has the fourth-best batting average in the ACC.</p>

Sophomore Olivia Gott currently has the fourth-best batting average in the ACC.

Women’s Basketball

What: Virginia (18-10, 7-8 ACC) vs. No. 18 NC State

When: Sunday, 2 p.m.

Where: John Paul Jones Arena

The Skinny: The Virginia women’s basketball team ends its regular season Sunday with a tough matchup against No. 18 North Carolina State (20-7, 10-4 ACC) at home.

The Cavaliers lost to No. 14 Louisville Thursday after riding a three-game winning streak, with a monumental victory against then-No. 4 Florida State sandwiched in between wins against Wake Forest and Virginia Tech. Virginia’s recent success has hinged on some stellar play from its young guards, with freshman Dominique Toussaint and junior J’Kyra Brown consistently putting up big scoring numbers in the past few weeks.

Senior guard Breyana Mason has also been a major contributor in the final few weeks of her illustrious career at Virginia. The true key to Virginia’s success as of late, though, has been its suffocating defense — before their loss to Louisville, the Cavaliers own the second-best defensive scoring average in the ACC with 54.9 points per game.

The Cavaliers will not have it easy when the Wolfpack comes to town. NC State has enjoyed a very successful season, especially in conference play. Before dropping a game to Wake Forest Sunday, the Wolfpack rattled off four-straight wins against conference foes. NC State’s offense is led by senior guards Dominique Wilson and Miah Spencer — who both average over 12 points per game. The Wolfpack bounced back nicely against North Carolina Thursday, beating the Tar Heels 80-60.

Tip off between the Cavaliers and Wolfpack is set for 2 p.m. Sunday at JPJ.

— compiled by Alec Dougherty

Softball

What: East Carolina Pirate Invitational

Where: Greenville, N.C.

When: Feb. 24-26

The Skinny: In its last tournament before conference play starts, the Virginia softball team will travel to Greenville, N.C. to play five games in the East Carolina Pirate Invitational.

The Cavaliers (5-6) are coming off of a weekend that included three wins — two against ETSU and one against Elon — and three losses. In the second game of two against Elon (6-2), Virginia recorded a 7-5 win and tallied up five different home runs — tying the school record for home runs in a single game.

Two of those home runs came from sophomore Olivia Gott, who is currently boasting the fourth-best batting average in the ACC. Junior Allison Davis also had a homer in the record-tying game for the Cavaliers, bringing her total for the season to four and giving her a six for eight hitting performance on the day.

First up for Virginia Friday afternoon is Seton Hall. The Pirates (3-0) have gotten off to a strong start this season after going undefeated in the Gardner Webb Tournament last weekend.

Later in the day, the Cavaliers will take on East Carolina, who posts a 5-5 record. Their last three games being wins against Bryant, Fordham and Cleveland State.

After facing both these opponents again Saturday, Virginia will finish out the tournament with a game against Coppin State Sunday.

Next weekend, ACC play starts up as the Cavaliers host rival Virginia Tech for a Commonwealth Clash matchup.

— compiled by Emma D’Arpino