Why 'La La Land' should win Best Picture

Chazelle’s movie-musical is total package

<p>"La La Land" is both a feel-good movie and an undeniably great film, the rightful winner.</p>

"La La Land" is both a feel-good movie and an undeniably great film, the rightful winner.

“La La Land” is worth the hype. The entirety of the musical seeps with an earnest romanticism that simultaneously conveys both breathless beauty and wistful heartbreak.

The film conjures magic through combining all elements of cinema. The color palette that paints Los Angeles in saturated purples and blues provides the perfect backdrop — one scene takes place at Griffith Observatory and then drifts dreamily into the stars, looking like a painting coming to life. Catchy music also characterizes “La La Land” — whether through spectacular showstoppers or gentle piano pieces — and various musical motifs recur during characters’ quieter moments to express what words cannot.

Despite all this, the film would be nothing without Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, who return on the big screen together for the third time as Sebastian and Mia — one a jazz musician, the other an aspiring actress, respectively. Their respective strength as actors — and their versatile chemistry — transcend any other Hollywood duo. Their playfulness in trading clever banter portrays the inevitability of their courtship within a few antagonistic moments. On the flip side, the vulnerable intimacy they give one another has the power to move the audience to tears.

As an aside, their devotion to the movie alone should merit consideration for Best Picture. All of the singing is original and Ryan Gosling learned piano just for the role.

It would be a sin to speak of “La La Land” without mentioning its unforgettable ending — a brilliant homage to old Hollywood’s best romances that showcases Chazelle’s skill as director. Anyone in theaters who wasn’t tearing up needs to get in touch with their emotional and musical sides. “La La Land” is a feast for the ears, the eyes and the heart. It clearly deserves the Academy’s most prestigious award.