Women’s lacrosse falls to No. 12 Princeton

Virginia offense struggles in loss

<p>Freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller led the team in scoring in Virginia's loss to Princeton.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller led the team in scoring in Virginia's loss to Princeton. 

Following a delay due to inclement weather, the women’s lacrosse team fell to Princeton in a 17-10 match Saturday.

The Virginia offense — struggling to capitalize on man-up opportunities and positioning — struggled again against a Tiger defense that punished mistakes by creating costly turnovers for Virginia.

The now 1-2 Cavaliers were unable to defend against Princeton midfielder Olivia Hompe — who shut down any chance the Cavaliers had to tie the game in the second frame. A 5-0 run lasting 10 minutes for Princeton created a point deficit far too great for Virginia’s lacking offense to overcome.

Of the 17 goals by Princeton, all but 14 of them were scored by just three players. Midfielder Tess D’orsi and attacker Colby Chanenchuk tallied four goals each against Virginia.

The Virginia defense — frazzled and out of position by pursuing Hompe — allowed the Tigers to outscore the Cavaliers by five points in the second half, dashing their halftime hopes to tie the game. The Cavaliers — led in scoring by freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller and senior attacker Kelly Reese with three goals apiece — could not convert on their 36 cumulative shots on goal.

The Cavaliers will have a week to approach the game with a fresh perspective and cleaned-up fundamentals as they travel to Williamsburg to face off against William & Mary Thursday.