Women's swimming seeks tenth ACC title in 10 years

After a long and successful regular season, the Cavalier swim and dive teams finally prepare for their biggest challenge of the year. From Feb. 13 until Feb. 16, the No. 8 Virginia women’s team (6-1, 4-1 ACC) will compete in Atlanta, Ga. for their 10th-straight ACC title.

Last year, the women’s team defeated NC State, North Carolina and Louisville behind an extremely strong 1,332.5-point win. The Cavaliers were led by then-senior Courtney Bartholomew and senior Leah Smith. Bartholomew continued her dominance in the backstroke, sweeping all events, while Smith won the 500 and 1,650-yard freestyle events, something she will look to do again this year.

Along with the returning Smith, seniors Kaitlyn Jones and Laura Simon and junior Jennifer Marrkand will look to put points on the board for the Cavaliers.

Despite their period of dominance, the Virginia women’s team will certainly face stiff competition this year. Specifically, No. 7 NC State (3-1, 1-1 ACC) will look to break the Cavalier’s streak after defeating Virginia two weekends ago.

After the women’s competition, the ACC men’s championships will take place in Atlanta, Ga. from Feb. 27 until March 2. The No. 12 men’s team (5-2, 4-1 ACC) will look to win its first ACC title since 2013.

The women’s final ACC meet of the year will begin at 4 p.m. Monday at the Georgia Tech Aquatics Center.