Grassroots organization endorses Gillespie for governor

The Middle Resolution, other conservative leaders announce endorsements for Republican candidate

<p>Gillespie holds the majority of endorsements for the Virginia Republican primary.</p>

Gillespie holds the majority of endorsements for the Virginia Republican primary.

The Middle Resolution, a conservative grassroots organization based in Mechanicsville, Va., endorsed former Senate candidate and Republican National Committee chairman Ed Gillespie for Virginia Governor. The endorsement was announced on Facebook Live Tuesday afternoon.

"He has pledged to be a governor for all Virginians,” Middle Resolution Board Member Al Jackson said in the video. “He has put together a campaign staff that is capable of helping him win not only the nomination but to win the governor's seat in the next election.”

The Middle Resolution announced the endorsement one day after Gillespie publicized endorsements from 36 conservative Hampton Roads leaders, including former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell. Gillespie has also received endorsements from U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R), Del. Barry Knight (R-Virginia Beach), Rep. Barbara Comstock (R-Va.) and State Sen. Mark Obenshain (R-Harrisonburg), among other noted GOP members.

The Middle Resolution’s work includes grassroots advocacy, evaluating legislation and voter education. According to the organization’s website, the Middle Resolution supports candidates who promote “the Constitution, fiscal and individual responsibility, low taxes, and limited government regulation.” Gillespie said he appreciated the endorsement and has a mutual commitment to the organization’s ideals.

“I’m humbled to have the support of the committed conservatives at The Middle Resolution,” Gillespie said in a release. “The Middle Resolution represents a wide-range of grassroots conservatives who are committed to policies based on free markets and free people. Like The Middle Resolution and its members, I recognize the importance of a government that protects individual rights, lowers taxes and promotes accountability and transparency in government.”

Gillespie’s opponents in the Republican primary of the gubernatorial race are Prince William County Board of Supervisors Chairman Corey Stewart and State Sen. Frank Wagner (R-Virginia Beach). With endorsements from 62 out of 87 Republican members of the General Assembly and the majority of the State Central Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia, Gillespie holds a large number of endorsements from Virginia GOP leaders.

Del. Scott Garrett (R-Lynchburg) is one of many Virginia delegates who have endorsed Gillespie. Garrett said he believes economic opportunity is a concern that transcends other current issues and is at the root of other issues such as education and safety.

“There’s still a whole lot of Virginians ... that are very much still looking for better opportunities for themselves and for their children,” Garrett said. “We’ve got to educate our kids — that’s our future. But we’ve got to get folks back working again, and I think that’s what Ed Gillespie has done and been rock-solidly standing behind. He has a vision and perspective on how we can improve our education systems, public health systems and public transportation, but at the heart of all of that is getting people back to work.”

In the Democratic primary for the gubernatorial race, Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam has also been winning endorsements from prominent leaders in his party, including Gov. Terry McAuliffe and both U.S. Senators from Virginia — Mark Warner and Tim Kaine.

Northam’s opponent, former Fifth Congressional District Rep. Tom Perriello, has not secured as many high-profile endorsements, but Perriello’s campaign announced Wednesday it had secured the support of 30 former Obama administration officials.

The former president himself has not endorsed either candidate in the Democratic primary.

The gubernatorial primaries are set for June 13.