Lacrosse falls to No. 18 Johns Hopkins in overtime

<p>Freshman attackman Michael Kraus led Virginia with four goals in the loss to Johns Hopkins.</p>

Freshman attackman Michael Kraus led Virginia with four goals in the loss to Johns Hopkins.

The No. 15 Virginia men’s lacrosse team suffered a tough 18-17 overtime loss Saturday against No. 18 Johns Hopkins in the Doyle Smith Cup. With under two minutes to go in the match, Virginia (5-4, 0-2 ACC) trailed Johns Hopkins (5-3, 0-0 Big Ten) by three goals, and it looked as if Virginia was about drop the top-25 clash.

However, the Cavaliers rallied together, scoring three goals in the final two minutes to tie the game and force an overtime period. Virginia was unable to carry momentum into overtime, as Johns Hopkins’s junior attackman Shack Stanwick scored the game-winning goal to defeat Virginia.

Virginia started the match off strong, taking a commanding 10-4 lead with around nine minutes left in the first half. Towards the end of the third quarter, Virginia maintained its lead, with a five-goal advantage at 13-8. However, Johns Hopkins then caught fire, pulling off a 9-1 run to take a 17-14 lead. Virginia made one final push — forcing overtime — before falling by the score of 18-17.

This was the fourth straight matchup between the two teams decided in overtime. In addition, freshman attackman Michael Kraus continued his strong season with another solid performance, scoring a team-high four goals on the afternoon. Virginia will now head to Richmond to take on No. 14 Richmond before heading back to Charlottesville for a three game home stand.