Aug 16, 2017

SPORTS

​Men’s, women’s tennis complete weekend rout

spcassiemercerpburke

Junior Cassie Mercer took a point for the Cavaliers in singles play against NC State Friday.

The Virginia men’s and women’s tennis teams dominated this weekend, with the men winning, 6-1, over Notre Dame (9-6, 1-2 ACC) and the women dismantling No. 31 NC State (12-7, 1-5 ACC) Friday, 5-2, before defeating a strong Notre Dame team, 4-3, Sunday.

The No. 3 Virginia men’s team (15-0, 2-0 ACC) won the doubles point against Notre Dame Saturday and never looked back. Senior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski led the way for the Cavaliers — winning 6-0 and 6-3 — and the rest of the team had little trouble executing. The win extends not only the Cavaliers’ undefeated season but also a regular season winning streak approaching one year. Their last regular season loss dates back to April 1, 2016 against North Carolina.

The women started the weekend with a strong performance at home against NC State Friday. After winning the doubles point, junior Cassie Mercer got the Cavaliers going in singles play with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Wolfpack sophomore Claudia Wiktorin. Later, freshman Rosie Johanson sealed the match for the Cavaliers with a 6-3, 7-5 win over senior Martina Frantova.

The quick turnaround before Sunday’s match at Notre Dame (14-2, 5-1 ACC) didn’t stop the team from putting on a strong performance. Junior Teodora Radosavljevic and freshman Camille Favero played especially well, both winning in straight sets. Despite the Fighting Irish cutting into Virginia’s early lead, Virginia ultimately prevailed, handing the Irish their first conference loss. The win keeps Virginia’s undefeated ACC record alive.

The men’s next ACC matchup comes Friday at NC State, while the women travel to Durham, N.C. Friday to face off against Duke.

Published March 20, 2017 in Sports