Softball drops series to NC State

<p>Junior outfielder Allison Davis went 2-3 with a triple in Virginia's 10-3 loss to NC State.</p>

Junior outfielder Allison Davis went 2-3 with a triple in Virginia's 10-3 loss to NC State.

In its first ACC road game of the season, Virginia lost 10-3 to NC State. The Wolfpack (11-16, 5-1 ACC) came up with some big hits in the last two innings to keep Virginia (10-16, 2-7 ACC) from threatening its early 3-1 lead. One of those hits was a grand slam in the bottom of the fifth inning from NC State freshman Haley Finn, bringing the game to 7-3. Despite the Cavaliers getting two more runs on the scoreboard in the next inning, the Wolfpack got a three-run home run to make its lead 10-3 and out of grasp for the Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers struggled to generate offense against a lefty pitcher Friday from NC State — only the second left-handed pitcher the Cavaliers have had to face this year. Although Virginia’s hits were few, both senior third baseman Kaitlin Fitzgerald and junior outfielder Allison Davis found some success, with Fitzgerald going three-for-three and Davis going two-for-three and getting her third triple of the season.

When the two teams faced off again the next day, the Cavaliers certainly didn’t have trouble tallying up hits, but they still couldn’t get the win. The Cavaliers out-hit the Wolfpack with a season-high 17 hits in the 8-6 loss. However, along with the season-high hits came a season-high 13 runners left on base.

NC State jumped out to an early 6-0 lead in the first two innings, but Virginia gradually made a dent in the lead when sophomore catcher Olivia Gott hit her sixth home run of the season in the fifth inning, making the score 8-3. Later in the seventh inning, Davis — who went four-for-five for the day — drove in two runs with her second double of the game. Senior center-fielder Iyana Hughes brought in the Cavaliers’ sixth run with a double. However, that was the last run Virginia could produce in the comeback effort.

With the series already captured by NC State, the Wolfpack completed the sweep in the final game between the two teams, beating the Cavaliers 9-1. NC State had the early lead — getting three runs in the first inning — and was able to hold on to it for the entire game.

The Cavaliers come back to Charlottesville for a double-header against Towson Tuesday, and then will host Florida State — who currently sits atop the ACC standings — over the weekend.