Virginia men’s golf rebounds at Linger Longer Invitational

<p>Senior Derek Bard placed 5th out of 84 golfers in the Linger Longer Invitational, the highest rank for Virginia.&nbsp;</p>

Senior Derek Bard placed 5th out of 84 golfers in the Linger Longer Invitational, the highest rank for Virginia. 

The Virginia men’s golf team finished the Linger Longer Invitational in second place out of 15 teams, with a combined three-round score of 846 (18-Under).

The tournament was a good rebound for the Cavaliers. After having their worst performance of the season two weekends ago — a 13th-place showing at the General Hackler Championship — Virginia returned to the form that has made them the top-ranked team in the ACC and No. 2 in the nation. This marks the third time in four spring tournaments that the Cavaliers have finished in the top two.

The top performer of the tournament for Virginia was senior captain Derek Bard, who finished in fifth place out of 84 golfers with a three-round score of 208 (8-Under). It was Bard’s 18th career individual top-10 finish.

Junior Danny Walker also had a strong tournament, finishing tied for 15th with a three-round score of 212 (4-under). Walker played his best golf today in the final round, in which he shot a 67 (5-under). The score of 67 was the best individual round score by a Virginia player in the tournament.

The Cavaliers will next compete in the Hootie@Bulls Bay tournament in Charleston, S.C. The three-round, 15-team tournament will start next Sunday, March 26. The Cavaliers last played in the Hootie@Bulls Bay tournament in 2015, finishing in fourth place overall.

The tournament will conclude a busy month for Virginia, who has already played in three tournaments this March.