​Weekend previews: March 24-26

'The Skinny' on weekend action for track and field, men’s and women’s tennis

<p>After placing third at indoor nationals, sophomore Oghenakpobo Efekoro looks to start the outdoor season off strong this weekend.&nbsp;</p>

After placing third at indoor nationals, sophomore Oghenakpobo Efekoro looks to start the outdoor season off strong this weekend. 

Women’s Tennis

What: Virginia at No. 17 Duke and No. 4 North Carolina

Where: Durham and Chapel Hill, N.C.

When: Friday at 3:30 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m.

The Skinny: The Virginia women’s tennis team will travel to North Carolina this weekend to play two ACC rivals — No. 17 Duke and No. 4 North Carolina.

Friday, the Cavaliers (7-5, 5-0 ACC) will play the Blue Devils (9-3, 3-0 ACC). Virginia is coming off a huge win over Notre Dame last Sunday — which preserved the team’s undefeated ACC record so far this season — and will look to carry that momentum into the weekend. Duke is coming off of a pair of wins last weekend as well.

The team will then make the short drive to Chapel Hill, N.C. for a matchup with the Tar Heels (18-1, 5-0 ACC) Sunday. North Carolina is also undefeated in the conference and has won its last 10 games.

The team takes the court against Duke at 3:30 p.m. Friday at the Ambler Tennis Stadium in Durham, N.C., and it will face off against North Carolina at 1 p.m. Sunday in Chapel Hill, N.C.

— compiled by Evan Davis

Men’s Tennis

What: No. 2 Virginia at NC State and Duke

Where: Raleigh, N.C. and Charlottesville

When: 4 p.m. Friday and 1 p.m. Sunday

The Skinny: After climbing up one more spot in the national rankings, the No. 2 Virginia men’s tennis team will look to continue their winning ways this weekend against two conference opponents. The Cavaliers (15-0, 2-0 ACC) improved to 2-0 in ACC play this past weekend after a decisive 6-1 victory against Notre Dame.

NC State (9-9, 0-3 ACC) comes into Friday’s match on a three-game losing streak, all to conference opponents. After a weekend in which they lost to both North Carolina and Virginia Tech, the Wolfpack lost 5-2 to Duke Wednesday. They’ll be looking for their first conference win Friday.

The Cavaliers will face a talented squad in Duke. The Blue Devils (9-6, 2-2 ACC) have three players ranked in the ITA top 100 for men’s singles — No. 22 Nicolas Alvarez, No. 76 Spencer Furman and No. 95 Catalin Mateas.

Sunday’s match at home will be the first one outdoors of the season at the Snyder Tennis Center.

— compiled by Charlie Lotane

Track and Field

What: Raleigh Relays and Hurricane Twilight Invitational

Where: Raleigh, N.C and Miami

When: Friday and Saturday

The Skinny: Virginia’s outdoor track and field team will make their season debut this weekend in two separate meets. Part of the team will travel to Raleigh, N.C. for the Raleigh Relays on Friday and then another portion of the team will compete in the Hurricane Twilight Invitational in Miami on Saturday.

One athlete to look out for this weekend is freshman Jordan Scott, who competed in the indoor national championships in the triple jump competition. Scott will look to continue his success in the outdoor season. Additionally, senior Jordan Young will return after taking third place in the men’s weight throw at the indoor championships. Sophomore Oghenakpobo Efekoro had a third place finish at indoor championships as well, and this debut meet will give him the opportunity to get a strong start for his outdoor season.

Raleigh Relays will take place Friday and the Hurricane Twilight Invitational will begin Saturday.

— compiled by Ryan Coyne