Jul 21, 2017

SPORTS

Women's rowing dominates spring opener

sprowingmbronfin

The women's rowing team started the season with 14 wins at the Oak Ridge Invitational.

The Virginia women’s rowing team started the 2017 season with a standout performance, winning 14 races at the two-day Oak Ridge Cardinal Invitational in Oak Ridge, Tenn.

The Cavaliers — chasing a third NCAA championship — kicked off their campaign Saturday, coming out victorious in 11 of 12 races. Virginia’s top three Varsity Eight boats and top three Varsity Four boats each took first in their respective races. The top Varsity Eight Boat posted a notable time of 6:32.6 and the top Varsity Four boat finished in 7:19.5.

Virginia continued to impress at the Invitational Sunday with three more first-place finishes, one in the Varsity Four, third Varsity Eight and third Varsity Four.

The competition at Oak Ridge provided a strong first test for the Cavaliers after a long winter offseason. Virginia faced off against ACC rivals Louisville and Notre Dame, as well as top Big Ten programs such as Michigan State, West Virginia and Michigan — Sunday’s Varsity Eight winner.

Virginia will be back in action April 1 and 2 at another two-day event, the Pac-12 Invitational. Though the Cavaliers did not attend the Invitational in 2016, they had a commanding showing in 2015, winning 10 of 12 races.  

Published March 14, 2017 in Sports