Women’s tennis snaps ACC record with weekend losses

<p>Juniors Cassie Mercer and Teodora Radosavljevic were instrumental in the win.</p>

Juniors Cassie Mercer and Teodora Radosavljevic were instrumental in the win.

The Virginia women’s tennis team fell to conference rivals No. 17 Duke (11-3, 5-0 ACC), 6-1, and No. 4 North Carolina (20-1, 7-0 ACC), 5-2, last weekend.

The team travelled to Durham, N.C. Friday to play Duke. After winning the doubles point, Duke continued the momentum in singles play and put on a strong performance. Freshman Rosie Johanson continued her exceptional season as she won the lone match for the Cavaliers. The loss marks Virginia’s first ACC loss of the season, snapping its five straight conference wins.

When playing North Carolina Sunday, Virginia jumped out to an early lead after claiming the doubles point. Juniors Cassie Mercer and Teodora Radosavljevic were instrumental in the win — they put together an impressive 6-2 victory over sophomore Jessie Aney and freshman Sara Daavettila, ranked No. 23 and No. 9, respectively by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. However, Virginia was unable to maintain the early success and dropped the first five singles matches.

Last to finish were Teodora Radosavljevic and Makenna Jones on court four — Radosavljevic went on to win, but it was too little and too late for the Cavaliers, and they lost their second straight ACC matchup. With the loss, the Cavaliers fall to 5-2 in the conference and fifth in ACC standings.

Virginia next hits the courts Friday when they take on Wake Forest at Snyder Tennis Courts. It is the Cavaliers last home match before a five-game road stretch.