BSA, Climate Action Society host Environment Racism Teach-In

Issues of environmental injustice, impacts on communities of color discussed at event

<p>Paul Wilson, pastor of Union Hill Baptist Church in Buckingham County (left) and Zoe Spencer, associate&nbsp;sociology professor at Virginia State University (right) spoke at Monday's event.&nbsp;</p>

Paul Wilson, pastor of Union Hill Baptist Church in Buckingham County (left) and Zoe Spencer, associate sociology professor at Virginia State University (right) spoke at Monday's event. 

The Black Student Alliance and Climate Action Society co-hosted an “Environmental Racism Teach-in” Monday evening to inform students about environmental issues that affect people of color. Roughly 50 people attended the event.

Zoe Spencer, an associate sociology professor at Virginia State University, spoke at the event, and was accompanied by Paul Wilson, pastor of Union Hill Baptist Church in Buckingham County.

Anelle Mensah, a third-year College student and BSA Political Action Committee co-chair, helped plan the event and said it was meant to make students more aware of what’s happening with the environment around them.

“I definitely think that students, whether they're aware of it or not, [are] definitely living in areas that are currently very much so impacted by issues of environmental racism and environmental injustice,” Mensah said. “Some students are more aware of what's happening than others, and I just thought that there's no reason why that level of knowledge should be so uneven.”

The talk focused on informing students about issues of environmental racism and environmental injustice, as well as the difference between the two terms.

“Environmental racism, I would argue, is the environmental injustices that specifically affect communities of color,” Spencer said.

Spencer then went on to explain that she sees environmental injustice as a global principle in which environmental issues have an effect on global communities. She said it’s something with which everyone should be concerned.

“For me, I take the environmental piece a step further because I would argue that there are factors, productive factors, that influence the environmental conditions, and then those factors influence the environmental conditions, [which] affect global communities,” Spencer said. “We all have to breathe the same air.”

Spencer discussed the disparity in wealth between countries as an example of environmental racism. She claimed that wealthier nations exploit the environment of less wealthy nations, causing damage to the people and resources there.

Spencer and Wilson also discussed the proposed Atlantic Coast Pipeline, which is a 600-mile underground pipeline and would serve as an interstate natural gas transmission line “that would serve multiple public utilities and their growing energy needs,” according to Dominion Energy’s website.

A portion of the pipeline is planned to go through Wilson’s community in Buckingham County. Wilson said he opposes the pipelines because of the negative effects he predicts it will have on his community.

“It decimates our community. It’s been pushed down our throats. Our parishioners do not want it,” Wilson said. “It's a moneymaker … for the stock owners at Dominion Power … that's who it’s for. It’s not for the common man.”

Spencer also called for students to do their own research on the issues she discussed in order to increase their understanding and develop their own opinions.

“Y'all need to recognize your power. Like I said, y'all have to research,” Spencer said. “And then explore, look, be observant and then when y'all find something, organize. Protest. Write letters.”