​Men’s lacrosse back on track with win over No. 12 Richmond

<p>Freshman defender Jared Conners&nbsp;scored the game-winning goal in Virginia's 8-7 win over Richmond.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman defender Jared Conners scored the game-winning goal in Virginia's 8-7 win over Richmond. 

In a tightly contested battle, No. 16 Virginia pulled out a victory in the waning minutes of the game against No. 12 Richmond Saturday. The game against the Spiders (8-2, 3-0 CAA) marked the Cavaliers’ (6-4, 0-2 ACC) fifth straight one-goal game and seventh of the season.

Virginia got off to a red-hot start, opening the match with a 4-1 run that resulted in a three-goal lead after the first quarter. However, Virginia cooled down and scored zero goals in both the second and third quarters. Meanwhile, Richmond’s offense awoke, scoring four goals in that time span and taking a 5-4 lead into the final frame.

With under two minutes to go in the game, the Cavaliers trailed 7-6 and needed to get going on offense or they would drop their third straight game. Freshman midfielder Dox Aitken was able to score the game-tying goal with just over a minute left, setting up a last-minute that would prove imperative to the match’s outcome. With just under a minute left, freshman defender Jared Conners scored a goal to give Virginia the 8-7 lead and eventual win, as Richmond was unable to respond and tie the match.

It was an unusual game for Virginia, whose up-tempo offense is used to scoring more goals than it did Saturday. It was the first time all season they scored fewer than 10 goals. Virginia will now return to Charlottesville to take on Cleveland State for a midweek matchup Tuesday night at 7 p.m.