No. 19 women’s lacrosse returns to ACC play against Louisville

Cavaliers look improve record against conference opponents

<p>Sophomore attacker Avery Shoemaker will look to help lead Virginia to a win over ACC rival Louisville.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore attacker Avery Shoemaker will look to help lead Virginia to a win over ACC rival Louisville. 

The No. 19 Virginia women’s lacrosse team will face off against Louisville Saturday at Klöckner Stadium.

Virginia (8-7, 2-3 ACC) will look to improve its conference record in a vital late-season matchup against the Cardinals (10-5, 2-3 ACC).

Fresh off a win against Navy after dropping three-straight games, Virginia will need to have superior ball control and good decision-making on both sides of the field.

Virginia, which has struggled for much of the season finding consistent offensive success, may have found its playmaker in sophomore midfielder Maggie Jackson. Jackson — whose ability in forcing turnovers earned her ACC Defensive Player of the Week honors back in March — proved her offensive skills Wednesday against Navy through scoring six goals.

The Cardinals, who have proven themselves against some of the top teams in the nation, are recovering from a tough 11-15 loss against North Carolina. After leading in the first half against the Tar Heels, Louisville was unable to respond to a potent 6-0 run by North Carolina that put the game out of reach.

A stingy Louisville defense will put the still-developing Cavalier offense to the test as they battle for an even ACC record. The match will begin at 1 p.m.