Softball beats Georgetown on five home runs

<p>Junior first baseman Danni Ingraham hit two home runs to lead Virginia to a win over Georgetown on Tuesday.</p>

Junior first baseman Danni Ingraham hit two home runs to lead Virginia to a win over Georgetown on Tuesday.

Before heading on the road for an ACC series this weekend, Virginia hosted Georgetown for a non-conference matchup.

The Cavaliers (17-29, 5-13 ACC) got out to an early lead and successfully maintained it throughout the game as they edged out the Hoyas (11-28, 4-8 Big East) with a score of 7-6.

Virginia first got on the scoreboard after a solo home run from senior second baseman Katie Park in the first inning of the game. The Cavaliers then extended the lead to 3-0 after a two-run homer from sophomore catcher Olivia Gott.

While Georgetown came up with two runs in the third inning, the Cavaliers added three runs of their own in the same inning with a solo homer from junior first baseman Danni Ingraham and a two-run blast from sophomore pitcher Lacy Smith.

The Hoyas then closed in on Virginia’s lead as they picked up three runs in the sixth inning, making the score 6-5. In the bottom of the sixth, Ingraham sent another ball out of the park, — giving Virginia a 7-5 lead going into the final inning. The Cavaliers’ five home runs in the game tied the school record for most home runs in a game.

Georgetown continued to fight in the last inning and added another run to the scoreboard. However, sophomore pitcher Erika Osherow was able to hold them from fully catching up to the Cavaliers, making the final score 7-6.

The Cavaliers now look to extend their three-game winning streak with a series on the road against Notre Dame, which kicks off with a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m.