Tour guide for a weekend

How hosting a prospective student adjusted my view on college life

“Okay, that’s all I have for today. Have a great weekend!” my Media Studies professor said. Already prepared to leave, I quickly threw my backpack over my shoulder and headed out of the door. It was time to pick up my prospective student! She would be staying two nights in my dorm as a part of Spring Fling, an admissions program designed specifically for admitted black students. Excited to finally meet my ‘prospie,’ I made my way to the admissions office.

An abundance of high schoolers and their parents flocked both inside and outside the building. Not knowing where exactly my prospie was, I walked around the entire office, trying to see if any of the girls resembled my prospie’s Facebook photo. Fortunately, my prospie soon spared me from my embarrassment and called out my name, recognizing me from my Facebook photo. Laughing it off, I introduced myself to her and her mother and offered to bring them to my dorm so that my prospie could drop off her suitcases. After saying goodbye to her family, my prospie and I headed up to my room.

I gave her a quick tour of my apartment and told her what I had planned for us to do. No Lost Generation, a student organization that supports young people affected by conflicts in Iraq and Syria, was holding a refugee panel and movie screening in the Multicultural Student Center. I thought this event would be a great way to show my prospie some of the clubs and organizations U.Va. has to offer, learn more about the Syrian refugee crisis and introduce her to a few of my friends. She thought this was a great idea, happily agreeing to go.

Two U.Va. students and one Charlottesville resident served on the refugee panel. Their stories were truly moving and insightful. Not only had these panelists faced incredible violence and suffering while in their home countries, but they also experienced — and continue to experience — the difficulties of immigrating and adjusting to American life, with challenges from language barriers to discrimination.

After a short question and answer session, everyone made a plate of Middle Eastern food and sat down to watch “After Spring”, a documentary about the Syrian civil war. The movie followed the lives of several Syrian families in a refugee camp, showing how the war has personally affected them. We unfortunately had to leave before the movie ended; nonetheless, my prospie really enjoyed the event and was glad to see a glimpse of the University’s diversity.

The next day was the official start of Days on the Lawn and Spring Fling. While I went to class and did some homework, my prospie and her mother attended several Days on the Lawn activities and events. I later met up with her at the admissions office and brought her back to my room. We rushed to get ready for annual Creative Raw And Very Edgy fashion show, a student-run event (also known as C.R.A.V.E.) benefitting the Charlottesville Boys and Girl Club. Luckily we made it there right when it started.

The models’ fierce struts and gorgeous outfits blew us away. We could tell that the models, as well as many students behind the scenes, worked countless hours to ensure that the show was a success. After meeting up with some of my friends, we headed to the show’s after-party, and then ended the night with a trip to Cook Out.

Sadly, my prospie had to leave that Saturday afternoon, as she had a long drive back home. She thanked me for letting her stay with me and was happy that she came for Spring Fling. She really enjoyed her time here and is now seriously considering coming to U.Va. Overall, I am very glad that I was able to make a good impression and hopefully persuaded her to join the Class of 2021.

This weekend with my prospie ultimately led me to reminisce about my DOTL experience and the first few weeks of my first semester. As a first-year, I was amazed by the novelty of all the fun, new things college had to offer; I know that my prospie was experiencing the same emotions. Now, as a rising third-year, much of that novelty has worn off, and college life has become somewhat of a routine. Though I take new classes every semester, many events and activities lack the thrill and excitement I once felt as a first-year.

Nonetheless, hosting a student reminded me that next semester does not have to follow this routine — there are several ways upperclassmen can recreate some of the novelty of first year.

We can attend more events that we usually do not go to, from discussion panels to UPC programs. We can also join one or two new organizations or take on different positions and leadership in the clubs that we are already in. More importantly, we can actively try to forge new connections and friendships outside of our familiar groups of friends.

Overall, there are still many new things to try and new people to meet, and being an upperclassman does not have to put an end to that.