Two Villages, One Vision promises good music for good cause

Random Row Brewing Company fundraiser promises wide variety of entertainment

<p>Two Villages, One Vision will feature several local bands and is dedicated to helping Tanzanian youth.</p>

Two Villages, One Vision will feature several local bands and is dedicated to helping Tanzanian youth.

Random Row Brewing Company will host a special charity event Thursday to fundraise for Carpenter’s Kids at U.Va., a non-profit organization dedicated to financing the education of impoverished Tanzanian youth. Featuring a diverse palette of music and entertainment options, there will be something for everyone to enjoy while contributing to an important cause.

The event will feature a rotation of several bands and entertainers — headlined by members of popular student band Kendall Street Company, who will perform an acoustic set toward the latter portion of the event.

Other confirmed entertainment includes a host of famous home-grown performance groups.

The Whethermen, the University’s oldest improv comedy troupe, guarantees to keep audiences rolling with laughter.

SGGL Reprised is a folk rock band that was formed in 1983, composed of four then-students. In their prime, they were a popular band for the student body — arguably the 1980’s equivalent of Kendall Street Company.

Maggie Muggins, a frequent performer at local Charlotteville dance events, is a bluegrass and Celtic band that performs with guitar, fiddle, mandolin, banjo and bass. Local musician Dylan Anderson will also perform an acoustic set with guitar and vocals.

The Two Villages, One Vision event is so named to highlight the Ikombolinga and Nzali villages in Tanzania. There will be a large mural of “Lions at the Watering Hole” provided by National Geographic and a menu featuring Tanzanian cuisine.

“[The event] will raise money for basic educational support for 120 students in two central Tanzanian villages, Ikombolinga and Nzali,” said Samuel Campbell, Darden graduate student and event coordinator. “The event is organized by the Carpenter's Kids Club at U.Va., several of whose members have lived in central Tanzania and thus have a strong connection to these communities.”

Random Row will brew a special Tanzanian beer named “Zawadi,” which means “gift” in Swahili, and for every glass sold, $2 will be donated to Carpenter’s Kids, while every regular beer pint sold will donate $1 to the cause. Familiar faces will also make an appearance from behind the bar — University basketball player and second-year College student Jack Salt will serve as a celebrity bartender at the event.

The event will take place Thursday from 5:30 to 11:30 p.m.