U.Va. CHARGE invites alumna to speak on inspiration

‘(Re)Imaging Women in STEM’ exhibition honors Betty Shotton

<p>On April 6,&nbsp;LiftOFF&nbsp;founder and CEO Betty Shotton spoke at the University on the topic of female leadership in the areas of science, math, engineering and technology.</p>

On April 6, LiftOFF founder and CEO Betty Shotton spoke at the University on the topic of female leadership in the areas of science, math, engineering and technology.

Through its “(Re)Imaging Women in STEM” exhibit, the U.Va. CHARGE Voices and Visibility Speakers Series invites notable women in the STEM field to share their life experiences to University students and faculty. On April 6, LITOFF founder and CEO Betty Shotton shared her story and perspective on the principles of exceptional leadership.

At the commencement of the speaker event, Assoc. Anthropology Prof. Gertrude Fraser, the primary investigator of U.Va. CHARGE, introduced Shotton to the audience with a brief biography.

As a member of the first class of undergraduate women to be admitted to the University in 1970, Shotton had been accustomed to the gender stereotype built by male domination in the workforce. Shotton now has been a CEO for over 35 years, an entrepreneur, author of “Liftoff Leadership: 10 Principles of Exceptional Leadership” and a leadership consultant.

Shotton began her dialogue by asking her audience to define the word gravity. With what she described as a “complex theory,” Shotton defined the word gravity as “the weight of our lives.” By introducing this definition, Shotton said her objectives for the talk were to convey what she has learned about her own personal weights or gravities.

Shotton commended the University for its “high integrity and great academics.” However, she reflected on the lack of integration efforts that were implemented towards benefiting female students during her time at the University.

Despite the limitations she experienced due to her gender, Shotton described her experience at the University as “one of the most magnificent events that shaped the rest of my life.”

After graduating from the University with two degrees in French and English, in addition to a teaching certification, Shotton said the occupations available to her as a woman “limited her from [her] potential.”

At the age of 25, she graduated from the William & Mary’s Mason School of Business and completed her Master’s in Business Administration at Virginia Commonwealth University.

With “24 jobs, 17 moves, 12 startups and buy outs, seven successes and nine failures,” Shotton described her life as “very, very, messy.” Nevertheless, “difficulties in life are key to development,” Shotton said.

The “(Re)Imaging Women in STEM” exhibit aims to provide visibility and voice to the ability of women, like Shotton, to succeed both during their time at the University and following graduation.

“It is important to share stories because in one’s ordinary life as a pioneer or a solo, you don’t have stories reflected back,” Fraser said. “You have to find ways to connect with people who can share their stories that can help you think about who you are. You then begin to see yourself, and that’s why it’s important to share stories and narratives to get meaning.”

As someone who frequently speaks about leadership, Shotton encourages and aids leaders in rising to their full potential and creating a positive path for their lives.

“The Dalai Lama said that the world would be saved by Western women because we are educated and we’ve had opportunity and we have everything it takes to be great leaders,” Shotton said. “The world needs female leaders. There is not enough of what women bring to the table, in terms of empathy, compassion, vision, and collaboration. Those skills that women have — in addition to everything else that men have — the world needs that.”