CLASS GIVING CAMPAIGN: Why give?

A letter to the graduating Class of 2017

To the Graduating Class of 2017 and every class after us:

For these past four years, the University has been our home. As such, our love for this place and the people within it has driven us to become passionate advocates for leaving our home a better place than we found it — and that’s why today we are asking you to give back to the University.

Let’s be honest — you’re probably tired of us at this point. We’ve emailed you, called you, messaged you on Facebook and prodded you in person to contribute to Class Giving. As we close out the campaign this week, we wanted to express a more personal sentiment about why Class Giving matters to us, and why we hope it matters to you. There’s one simple reason why we do it: We love this school. For us, these past four years at the University have been incredible, and we are so grateful when reflecting on all this school has given to us and the memories we will walk away with when we graduate in a month.

Though we have come to appreciate the highs and lows of our time here, we understand that not everyone has thought of this place as a home for them these past four years. However, whether you’ve enjoyed absolutely every second of your time here, or wished something was different, you have the opportunity to make positive change at the University by donating to Class Giving. Your class gift can help keep your most cherished organizations and programs alive for future students, and improve them for those who will come along after us.

What we have learned throughout this year is that every gift has a story. On more than several occasions, fourth-years have made their class gifts at the Trustees’ table and said: "If it weren't for AccessUVA, I wouldn't be here." They made their donation to the scholarship fund that made their experience possible. Other student volunteers have given back to great programs like Camp Kesem, Adopt-A-Grandparent and Dance Marathon because pursuing those causes gave them purpose as students here. Even more fourth-years have given back to groups such as the Black Student Alliance, One Less or the LGBTQ Center — helping to further these groups’ efforts to create a safer and more inclusive University community. Each of these individual gifts are powerful, though none are more powerful than the whole. In making such meaningful donations to the Class Giving Campaign, the Class of 2017 has illuminated the diversity of experiences and passions across the University’s students. For this, we thank you for sharing your stories with us.

In the last few days of our campaign, we ask: What will your giving story be? You have the chance to provide future students with the same experiences you treasured during your years on Grounds, and to improve those opportunities for future Cavaliers with your financial support. We urge you not to miss out on the chance to leave a legacy of philanthropy before you walk down the Lawn at graduation. So when you are considering whether or not to make your donation and asking yourself “Why give?,” remember this: At 3,650 students strong, our class has the power to influence future student stories and make the University an even better home than how we found it.

Congratulations again to the Class of 2017 for an amazing past four years — we can’t wait to walk the Lawn with you!

“On my final night of Thanksgiving break my first year, I was washing the dishes in my kitchen when my mom asked me when I thought I’d get back to Charlottesville the next day. Without hesitation, I replied, “I think I’ll get back home around 7:00 p.m. tomorrow.” Suddenly, my mom burst into tears and I had no clue why. Upon further investigation, I discovered I had called U.Va. my “home” instead of just my school.” — Wyatt Moorer

“I moved around a bit during in my teenage years, from California, to Kentucky, to Minnesota. Throughout the first few weeks of college when people would ask me: “Where are you from?” (over and over again, of course), I would slowly reply: “Well, it’s complicated … I’m a little all over the place.” I laugh at this response now because, while I will be the first to admit I do not have it all together, I feel far from being “all over the place.” I feel grounded in the friendships I’ve made, passions I’ve pursued and identity I’ve built during my years at the University. Through thick and thin, today I do call the University my home.” — Samantha Westrum

Samantha Westrum and Wyatt Moorer are the co-chairs of the 2017 Class Giving Campaign