Jun 27, 2017

SPORTS

​Women’s lacrosse edges out Navy, 16-13

spwlaxshoemakerrbrown

Sophomore attacker Avery Shoemaker will look to help lead Virginia to a win over ACC rival Louisville. 

The Virginia women’s lacrosse team (7-7, 2-3 ACC) was able to avoid dropping their fourth straight game as they beat Navy, 16-13, Wednesday at Klöckner Stadium.

The Cavaliers were able to avoid the mistakes plaguing their matches against Maryland and Penn State and perform well on both sides of the field.

On offense Virginia was able to outscore Navy at almost every turn. Sophomore midfielder Maggie Jackson and sophomore attacker Avery Shoemaker both scored key goals early on, allowing the Cavaliers some room to breathe. Over the course of the night the two sophomores scored six and five times, respectively.

In addition to these two vital players, the offense as a whole displayed an incredible ferocity that was able to wear down Navy. In just the first half, the Cavaliers were able to put 24 shots on goal — nearly doubling that of Navy.

While moving the ball on offense and getting around Navy’s defense, Virginia was able to go 9-9 on clears in both the first and second halves — showing just how vital good decision making is in allowing more scoring opportunities.

Junior keeper Rachel Vander Kolk and the Virginia defense kept the Navy offense in check for most of the game. Kolk — who has had three straight games with 12 saves — has lead the Cavalier defense into forcing tough shots by opponents.

Leading the Navy offense was senior attacker Morgan Young — who tallied four goals for the night. The Navy offense, who appeared partially shut down by the Virginia defense, staged a late second half 4-0 run that looked to put the game in reach for Navy — but two goals scored by senior attacker Besser Dyson and Maggie Jackson secured a victory for Virginia.

Virginia will continue their stretch of home games Saturday as they face off against Louisville at 1 p.m. 

— compiled by John Garza

Published April 13, 2017 in Sports