Women’s tennis ends season on high note with win over Towson

<p>Virginia started off its match against Florida State with a tough break, losing the doubles point, but strung together some victories in singles play.</p>

Virginia started off its match against Florida State with a tough break, losing the doubles point, but strung together some victories in singles play.

The No. 43 Virginia women’s tennis team (11-12, 7-7 ACC) topped No. 42 Florida State (15-10, 6-5 ACC) Friday 4-3 at Snyder Tennis Center, before splitting a pair of matches Sunday.

Virginia started off its match against Florida State with a tough break, losing the doubles point, but strung together some victories in singles play. Freshman Rosie Johanson shined yet again for the Cavaliers, winning 6-4, 6-3 over Florida State freshman Nandini Das. On court two, junior Cassie Mercer was dominant in her 6-2, 6-4 victory over junior Gabriella Castaneda. Freshman Chloe Gullickson and junior Teodora Radosavljevic also picked up wins to give the team the 4-3 edge and the comeback win.

Sunday, Virginia played its final matches of the regular season in a doubleheader against No. 39 Miami (11-10, 8-6 ACC) and Towson (13-11, 3-4 CAA). Due to the rain, the matches were moved to Boar’s Head Sports Club. In their morning match, Virginia took the doubles point against Miami, but then failed to capitalize on early momentum, losing four of six singles matches and then dropping the match, 4-2. Sophomore Meghan Kelley had a dominant 6-0, 6-2 win over Miami freshman Dominika Paterova, but four other Cavaliers went on to lose in straight sets.

Later that day, Virginia saw more success against Towson in both teams’ last match of the season, winning 6-1. Again, Kelley had a dominant day with a 6-0, 6-2 victory. Four of the Cavaliers’ singles wins came in straight sets, capping off a strong finish to the season.

The ACC Tournament begins Wednesday.