Women’s tennis takes early exit in conference tournament

<p>Freshman Rosie Johanson was&nbsp;selected to the 2017 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Tennis team earlier this week.</p>

Freshman Rosie Johanson was selected to the 2017 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Tennis team earlier this week.

The No. 8 seed Virginia women’s tennis team fell to No. 9 Florida State in the second round of the ACC Championships. Following a rain delay, the teams went to action in Rome, Ga.

The Cavaliers (11-13, 7-7 ACC) lost the doubles point and freshman Hunter Bleser fell to Florida State (16-10, 6-5 ACC) sophomore Ariana Rahmanparast to start singles play, putting the team in an early 2-0 hole. However, sophomore Meghan Kelley got the team on the board with a 6-3, 6-1 victory on court 3 over Florida State sophomore Julia Mikulski.

Unfortunately, the Cavaliers only managed one more victory the rest of the match — a 7-6, 6-4 win courtesy of freshman Rosie Johanson on court one — and ultimately fell 4-2 to the Seminoles.

Just less than a week ago, the Cavaliers defeated the Seminoles at Snyder Tennis Center, 4-3. The last time Virginia fell to Florida State was April 27, 2013 — an ACC Tournament matchup. Despite the setback, the team was welcomed with the news earlier this week that Johanson had been selected to the 2017 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Tennis team. Ranked No. 56 in the ITA women’s singles tennis rankings, Johanson boasts a 27-10 record in singles play and has been a driving force behind the team’s victories this year.

The NCAA Tournament begins in May in Athens, Ga.