‘American Gods’ premiere inspires faith

Starz fantasy entices with surreal imagery, social commentary

<p>Following a tumultuous political campaign, the power of media and technology have been shown to dominate American faith, making “American Gods” all the more relevant.</p>

Following a tumultuous political campaign, the power of media and technology have been shown to dominate American faith, making “American Gods” all the more relevant.

What makes a god powerful? Is it their ability to defy human constraints? Is it their omniscience? Or is it, in fact, the believers who give gods these powers? “American Gods” plays with these questions, but does not limit the conversation to religious figures. Belief in technology and media parallels belief in ancient gods of mythology, and these forces have as much power as their believers give them. Following a tumultuous political campaign, the power of media and technology have been shown to dominate American faith, making “American Gods” all the more relevant.

The premiere gives glimpses into an enticing narrative. Shadow Moon — the show’s protagonist — is launched into a surreal reality of gods and fantasy. Along the way, the audience gets a taste of complex, interesting characters, with the embodiment of technology satirizing their often quick-tempered and manic attitudes. For example, Bilquis — a love goddess — resorts to a dating app for gratification. Each character symbolizes different social issues, from immigration to sexuality. This complexity gives the series depth and makes a point, rather than simply entertaining.

“American Gods” finds most success with its multifaceted and nuanced performances. Ian McShane’s portrayal of Mr. Wednesday offers an underlying darkness to the charismatic, suave character. Yetide Badaki embodies intense desperation as the femme fatale Bilquis. As Shadow Moon, Ricky Whittle portrays an internal struggle amidst a constant wave of misfortune with expert subtlety. While many of the characters of “American Gods” are fantastical gods, each actor brings humanity and believability to his or her role.

Within the first 10 minutes of the premiere, the screen is engulfed in a sea full of blood and guts. “American Gods” is not one for subtlety, instead opting for over-the-top grotesque visuals. Violence and gore are integrated into the essential identities of the featured god figures — thus, it is only fitting that gore is heavily incorporated in the series. These characters are larger than life and the depiction of their power must be grand.

The premiere of “American Gods” gives a taste of what’s to come, leaving the audience begging for more. The series is unlike any other as it merges ancient mythology with modern American culture. This surreal fantasy promises depth amid a season cluttered with blockbusters and summer jams.