Andres Pedroso named men’s tennis head coach, director of tennis

<p>Andres&nbsp;Pedroso played collegiate tennis at Duke, where he earned All-American status for two years &mdash; 2000 and 2001 &mdash; and led the Blue Devils to four ACC championships.</p>

Andres Pedroso played collegiate tennis at Duke, where he earned All-American status for two years — 2000 and 2001 — and led the Blue Devils to four ACC championships.

University Athletics Director Craig Littlepage named former men’s tennis assoc. head coach Andres Pedroso head coach and director of tennis in an announcement Wednesday.

Pedroso played collegiate tennis at Duke, where he earned All-American status for two years — 2000 and 2001 — and led the Blue Devils to four ACC championships. After playing professional tennis for four years, Pedroso served as assoc. head coach for Virginia from 2010-14 under the guidance of former head coach Brian Boland. After being named the 2014 ITA National Assistant Coach of the Year, he moved to Florida and coached tennis privately.

As director of tennis, Pedroso will ensure the men’s and women’s programs meet University goals and work with each team to cement a vision for success.

Boland ends his 16-year stint in Charlottesville with a number of accolades, most recently winning his third straight national title and his fourth national title overall. He and Pedroso led the team to its first national championship in 2013.

Pedroso will officially take over both roles Tuesday, May 30.