Racing meets camaraderie in the pool

U.Va. Swim Club wins first-ever national championship while building tight-knit community

<p>The growth of the Swim Club is a testament to the energy of its members and the strength of its community.</p>

The growth of the Swim Club is a testament to the energy of its members and the strength of its community.

The Swim Club at the University placed first in the men’s category, second in the women’s category and first in overall scoring at the 2017 Collegiate Club Swimming & Diving National Championships early this past April. Rising senior Henrik Pohlmann led the Cavaliers, as he won four individual titles and three relay titles — scoring the most points of any individual participant.

In addition to the Club winning its first national championship, this tournament marked the first time the Club had placed in the top three in the men’s, women’s or overall categories.

Rising junior Madeleine Daum, the Club’s vice president, said the team “came to win … And supported each other, which really encouraged everyone to swim their best.”

The Club broke many program records at the meet — setting new bests in 17 men’s events and 14 women’s events.

“We practically rewrote our record board because we did so well,” Daum said.

Pohlmann won individual titles in four events — setting club records in each — and was the leading individual scorer and MVP of over 2,000 swimmers who competed at the meet. Additionally, rising sophomore Ethan Navarro and then-graduate Eric Holden were champions in the 200 yard butterfly and breaststroke, respectively. In relays, the Cavaliers took home first place in the men’s 800 yard freestyle, 400 yard medley, 200 yard medley and the men’s and women’s 400 yard freestyle relay.

After spending his freshman and sophomore years as a member of the varsity team, Pohlmann made the decision to quit and swim for the Club.

“Being a varsity athlete is a huge commitment, and I wasn’t happy … It was time for a change,” Pohlmann said.

The move was positive for Pohlmann, and it helped him renew his passion for the sport, he said.

“Everyone is there because they love swimming, love the atmosphere and love the community,” Pohlmann said. “I’ve been to Olympic Trials, national championships and big invites, but Club Nationals was the most team-driven event I have been a part of.”

Pohlmann wasn’t the only former varsity athlete who helped the Swim Club to their title. Barry Mangold, a then-senior who left the varsity team after his first year and coached the Club from 2014 to 2016, also contributed as a member of all five men’s relay teams — including the four that won titles.

Mangold spent his first year committed to the varsity team, but the demanding regime began to erode his well-being and his love for the sport, he said.

“It definitely can be suffocating at times … I had applied to transfer to Maryland because I really wasn’t happy,” Mangold said.

Entering his sophomore year after having parted ways with his former team, Mangold said coaching the Swim Club was an obvious choice.

“It was a smaller but just as welcoming group back then,” Mangold said. “To come into the year feeling so nervous and unsure and to find the Club was so rectifying.”

Mangold said investing his time in the Club was transformative, and it helped him rediscover his passion for swimming.

“My motto became ‘swim when I want to,’” Mangold said. “I sometimes swam twice a week, but there are members of the team who practiced as much as twice per day.”

With the Club having over 135 current members, it can be difficult for newcomers to find connections and maintain interest in the Club. To combat this challenge and retain members, the leaders of the Club organize “swamilies.”

“‘Swamilies’ are little families led by older team members, or ‘swoms,’ that make fast food runs, corn maze trips and give underclassmen rides to ensure all potential members feel welcome with the club, regardless of skill,” Daum said. “It gives new members an immediate link and a mentor, especially for out of state students without any high school connection.”

The growth of the Club is a testament to the energy of its members and the strength of its community. According to Mangold, the Club has added 20 to 30 members to its total number each year — rising from around 80 in 2014-15 to just over 100 in 2015-16 — and 135 this year.

“I came in two years ago and the group was a small competitive team with 3-5 guys who consistently scored … There was a much smaller core group of competitive swimmers,” Mangold said. “We only added more people, more talent and more excitement this year."

With this success behind, the Club is currently preparing for next season.

“Our team is adopting a more competitive mindset, and that really paid off this year at Nationals,” Daum said. “We are definitely using the momentum we gained to recruit a great team in the fall to keep our success going.”

One of the challenges faced by the club next year will be in finding a successor to their coach, Adam Whitener, a University alumnus and former varsity swimmer. Whitener played an important role in the team’s success this season, Daum said.

“It [was] really nice to have a coach that [had] been on varsity,” Daum said. “We really benefit[ed] from getting a taste of what the varsity team does in regards to practice structure and technique work.”

Finding a qualified student coach will could be difficult because of the niche community and competitive nature of the club. The new coach needs to not only have a strong understanding of competitive swimming and technique, but also must swim and travel with the team and “really be a part of our family,” Daum said.

Despite that challenge, the team’s leaders are optimistic for the future. According to Daum, the team will look to gain more exposure on Grounds, travel to more competitive meets and expand its philanthropic efforts through Madison House and growing its charity swim meet.

“[The team] will be using the momentum … We gained to recruit a great team in the fall to keep our success going,” Daum said. 

Correction: The article has been edited to correct the spelling of Madeleine Daum's last name.