Senior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski wins NCAA Men’s Singles championship

<p>Senior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski won the 2017 NCAA&nbsp;Men's Singles Title to cap off his collegiate tennis career.&nbsp;</p>

Senior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski won the 2017 NCAA Men's Singles Title to cap off his collegiate tennis career. 

After helping the Virginia men’s tennis team win a third consecutive NCAA Championship last week, senior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski concluded his illustrious collegiate tennis career in style, winning the NCAA Men’s Singles championship Monday.

Monday’s title match featured the Cavaliers and Tar Heels once again, with both teams having faced off against each other last week in the team championship match. Kwiatkowski defeated North Carolina freshman William Blumberg in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6 (5), to capture the title.

Kwiatkowski and Blumberg also faced off in last week’s National Championship match between the two teams. That match went in Blumberg’s favor, but Kwiatkowski was determined to change the outcome this time around in his final time playing collegiate tennis as a Cavalier.

After what has already been a wildly successful seven days for Kwiatkowski, his national championship win in singles play secured him an automatic bid in the main draw of the 2017 U.S. Open. Kwiatkowski is the third Virginia men’s tennis player in program history to win the singles title, joining two-time champion Somdev Devvarman, who won back-to-back titles in 2007 and 2008, and former teammate Ryan Shane, who won it two years ago in 2015.

With his career as a Cavalier now over, Kwiatkowski will go down as one of the greatest players in program history. His resume is filled with accolades including three-time national champion in team play, national champion in singles play, All-ACC First Team player and more.