Women’s lacrosse loses in ACC Championship Semifinals

<p>Sophomore attacker Avery Shoemaker had a hat trick in Virginia's 15-12 loss to Syracuse.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore attacker Avery Shoemaker had a hat trick in Virginia's 15-12 loss to Syracuse. 

The third-seeded Cavaliers came up short to the second-seeded Orange, 15-12, after a hard fought battle in Richmond.

The Cavaliers (11-8, 4-3 ACC) quickly racked up three goals, but could not finish off Syracuse (15-5, 5-2 ACC) to move past the ACC Championship Semifinals.

For the Cavaliers, sophomore midfielder Maggie Jackson had three goals and two assists for a team high five points, and sophomore attacker Avery Shoemaker added a hat trick as well.

It was a game of runs, as Virginia got out to an early lead but was unable to hold back a five-goal onslaught from the Orange and found themselves down two. Syracuse junior attacker Riley Donahue equaled her career best with four goals in the contest.

Virginia junior midfielder Kasey Behr opened the scoring for both teams, and after Jackson tied it up with just over six minutes in the first, the Orange went on a two-goal run to lead, 7-5.

Syracuse scored the first two goals of the second half before Shoemaker was able to get her third and final goal. After trading goals for much of the remainder of the half, the Orange were able to prevent a Cavalier comeback.

Senior attacker Kelly Reese picked up a late assist and goal in the effort to climb their way back into the game.

The Cavaliers were never able to get within three goals, as they fell, 15-12.

Virginia now looks towards the 2017 NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Tournament and the tournament picks will be aired Sunday, May 7 at 9 p.m. on NCAA.com.