Baseball falls to TCU in in regional winner’s bracket

<p>Senior relief pitcher Alec Bettinger relieved sophomore pitcher Daniel&nbsp;Lynch and pitched admirably, giving up only one run in 5.33 innings while striking out four.</p>

Senior relief pitcher Alec Bettinger relieved sophomore pitcher Daniel Lynch and pitched admirably, giving up only one run in 5.33 innings while striking out four.

After a win in the opening game of the Fort Worth Regional, the Virginia baseball team fell to host Texas Christian Sunday, 5-1.

For the third day in a row, the Cavaliers (43-15) and Horned Frogs (44-16) dealt with dismal weather conditions in the Forth Worth, Texas area. The game was originally slated to begin at 5 p.m., but an extended delay due to rain pushed the start to after 10 p.m.

When the game finally began, sophomore pitcher Jared Janczak took the hill for TCU. Janczak was nothing short of dominant the entire night, holding Virginia to one run while striking out six in eight innings of work. The Belton, Texas native allowed only six hits, not giving up a run until the eighth inning nor a walk until the ninth.

Sophomore pitcher Daniel Lynch got the nod for Virginia. The southpaw gave up four runs in only 2.66 innings, but only two of them were earned. Costly errors from sophomore second baseman Andy Weber and junior shortstop Ernie Clement allowed TCU to stretch its lead to 4-0 in the third inning. Senior relief pitcher Alec Bettinger relieved Lynch and pitched admirably, giving up only one run in 5.33 innings while striking out four.

Virginia struggled mightily against the dominant Janczak for most of the game. Particularly notable were Janczak’s two strikeouts of Cavalier junior first baseman Pavin Smith, who had only struck out nine times this year. Virginia’s lone run came on a single off the bat of Weber in the eighth inning.

The loss puts Virginia on the brink of elimination from the NCAA Tournament. The team’s fate will be decided in a game against Dallas Baptist (41-20) Monday. The Cavaliers previously defeated the Patriots 6-3 in the opening round of the regional Saturday. The winner of the elimination game will go on to face TCU — and must defeat the Horned Frogs twice — for a shot at advancing to the super regional.

First pitch between Virginia and Dallas Baptist is scheduled for 3 p.m. Monday in Fort Worth.