​Baseball opens regional play on the road

<p>Virginia appears in a good position to host a regional &mdash; especially after a strong 42-win season &mdash; and the Cavaliers now face a test on the road against Dallas Baptist.</p>

Virginia appears in a good position to host a regional — especially after a strong 42-win season — and the Cavaliers now face a test on the road against Dallas Baptist.

No. 2 seed Virginia enters its 14th-straight NCAA Tournament Friday as it faces off against No. 3 seed Dallas Baptist at Texas Christian’s Lupton Stadium in Fort Worth, Texas. The Cavaliers (42-14, 18-12 ACC) enter the double-elimination regional on the road in Fort Worth — only the fifth time Virginia is opening away from Charlottesville in its 14 tournament appearances.

The Cavaliers are on the heels of a tough ACC Tournament, which ended after a two-game stint in Louisville, Ky. Virginia first fell to No. 9 seed Duke after the Blue Devils put up three runs in the bottom of the sixth and never looked back. They were able to bounce back against Clemson, winning 10-2, but were unable to secure a national seed for the NCAA tournament.

Virginia appears in a good position to host a regional — especially after a strong 42-win season — and the Cavaliers now face a test on the road against Dallas Baptist (40-19, 15-6 MVC). The winner will move on to face the victor of the Texas Christian (42-16, 16-8 Big 12) and fourth-seeded Central Connecticut State matchup.

If the Cavaliers can advance out of their regional Fort Worth bracket, they will move on to super regionals to face the winner of the Fayetteville Regional hosted by No 1. seed Arkansas.

The Cavaliers face the Patriots Friday at 4 p.m. on ESPNU.