​Mihaljevic secures back-to-back NCAA titles in shot put

<p>Virginia junior Filip Mihaljevic successfully clenched his second consecutive NCAA championship title in shot put.</p>

Virginia junior Filip Mihaljevic successfully clenched his second consecutive NCAA championship title in shot put.

The No. 9 Virginia men’s track and field team put on quite the show in Eugene, Ore at the start of the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers finished day one with 20 points, which tied last year’s team score and is the highest total for Virginia at the NCAA Championships. Texas A&M led the way with 21.5 points and Florida finished with 18 points on the day.

Virginia junior Filip Mihaljevic successfully clenched his second consecutive NCAA championship title in shot put. A shot put mark of 21.30 meters earned the Bosnia and Herzegovina native first team All-America honors while also setting a school record.

Along with Mihaljevic, sophomore Oghenakpobo Efekoro finished fourth in the shot put with a mark of 19.70 meters. Efekoro joins Mihaljevic in earning first-team All-America honors.

Sophomore Hilmar Jonsson threw a personal-best of 72.38 meters, which placed him in fourth place in the hammer throw. The Reykjavik, Iceland native also earned first-team All-America honors while breaking the U23 Icelandic hammer throw record as well as his previous Virginia school record.

Senior Jordan Young also competed in the hammer throw, finishing in ninth and recording a season-best mark of 69.71 meters. The throw earned him second-team All-America honors.

Sophomore Jack Lint currently ranks No. 21 in the decathlon with a score of 3,733 points and five events remaining.

The second day of the NCAA Championships will continue Friday.