​Democratic candidates for Fifth District seat in Congress file fundraising, spending summaries to FEC

Candidate Roger Dean Huffstetler has raised $345,053.78, besting the combined fundraising totals of his opponents who have filed to the FEC

<p>Slate, Huffstetler and Sneathern all submitted&nbsp;fundraising and spending summaries to the Federal Election Commission.</p>

Slate, Huffstetler and Sneathern all submitted fundraising and spending summaries to the Federal Election Commission.

Several Democratic candidates for the Fifth District seat in the U.S. House of Representatives filed fundraising and spending summaries to the Federal Elections Commission July 15.

Roger Dean Huffstetler, Andrew Sneathern and Adam Slate filed their quarterly reports to the commission, accounting for the period between April 1 and June 30. Ben Cullop and Leslie Cockburn, who joined the race July 2 and 13, respectively, did not file reports to the FEC, as they had not filed their candidacy by the time the quarter ended.

Huffstetler, an entrepreneur and Marine veteran, raised $345,053.78, besting the combined fundraising totals of Sneathern and Slate. He has spent $66,108.58.

“We’re focused on defeating Congressman [Tom] Garrett next November, and to do that, we’re going to need a lot of resources to take our message out to the people,” campaign spokesperson Kevin Zeithaml said. “This is an incredibly rural district, and we need the resources to get out to these communities, introduce Roger and let them know about his plan to build a new inclusive economy for his district.”

Rep. Garrett (R-Va.) was elected in 2016 and is up for reelection in 2018. He has raised $43,175 and spent $58,989.84, according to The Daily Progress.

Many of Huffstetler’s funds were donated by out-of-state donors and groups, including some through Democratic fundraising site ActBlue. Zeithaml said connections from around the U.S. have allowed Huffstetler to amass the funds he did.

“Roger served in the military, and in business and in Silicon Valley,” Zeithaml. “It’s taken him all around the country and the world, and he’s met a lot of people who are supporting him along. And we’re very grateful for that.”

Sneathern, an attorney, raised $68,622.16 and spent $4,869.00. Most of the funds come from inside the district.

“I think that speaks to the amount of support that Andrew’s getting in the district,” Spencer White, Sneathern’s campaign manage, said. “He’s been here for 14 years, knows a lot of people … but is also spending a lot of time in the district.”

White said most of the money is being saved and building up for the caucus, primary election and general election.

Slate, who works for the University Health System, raised $4,050.22 and spent $954.32.

“We’re continuing to work to raise money, but we’re also putting together the other elements that you need to run a campaign that you can be proud of and that will resonate with voters,” Slate said.

Slate said issues of fairness were most important to the campaign, relating to health care security, education and jobs.

“Getting that message around and continuing to keep it front and center really tops everything else for us and for the voters in the district,” Slate said.

The next filing deadline is Oct. 15.

This article was updated to include an interview with Slate conducted after original publication.