​Kevin Fay appointed Chairman of U.Va. Foundation Board of Directors

Former BOV member named by Rector Frank Conner

<p>Fay succeeds L.F. Payne, who chaired the Board starting in 2011 after his appointment by former Board of Visitors Rector William Goodwin.</p>

Fay succeeds L.F. Payne, who chaired the Board starting in 2011 after his appointment by former Board of Visitors Rector William Goodwin.

The U.Va. Foundation announced last week that Kevin J. Fay, a 1977 University graduate and former Board of Visitors member, would be the new chair of the foundation's Board of Directors, effective July 1. Fay was designated by Board of Visitors Rector Frank Conner.

Fay was appointed to the Board of Visitors in 2013 and served until his term ended last month. He chaired the Buildings and Grounds Committee from 2015 until the end of his term.

Fay is also the vice chairman and CEO of Alcalde & Fay, an independent public and government affairs firm, where he has worked since 1982.

“On behalf of the Board of Visitors, I wish to express our gratitude to Kevin for agreeing to serve in this important role and for his continuing service to the U.Va. community,” Conner said in a press release. “As the former chair of the Board of Visitors’ Buildings and Grounds Committee, Kevin played an integral role in developing the University’s current multi-year capital program and is keenly aware of how the University’s real estate portfolio can augment the University’s mission and benefit future generations of students and the larger University community.”

Tim Rose said in an email statement that Fay’s work, both privately and on the Buildings and Grounds Committee, has given him experience for the position of Chairman.

“In addition to his excellent experience in the private sector, Mr. Fay has most recently served as chair of the U.Va. Board of Visitors’ Buildings and Grounds Committee,” U.Va. Foundation CEO Tim Rose said. “In that role, he was actively engaged in several U.Va.-U.Va. Foundation joint projects, including planning for the future of the Cavalier Inn site and the Brandon Avenue student housing project.”

Fay succeeds L.F. Payne, who chaired the Board starting in 2011 after his appointment by former Board of Visitors Rector William Goodwin. Payne, who served on the foundation’s board from 1986 to 1994, was previously a U.S. Congressman representing Virginia’s 5th district.

“Under [Payne’s] leadership, the U.Va. Foundation accomplished so much to position the University to expand and improve its facilities for decades to come,” Conner said in a statement. “He has been an important leader for the University on many fronts for over three decades. We are grateful for his service."