Jul 23, 2017

NEWS

​WTJU to leave Lambeth Commons

Student-run radio station will move as Lambeth Commons becomes residential

8359_lambetht

The University plans to make Lambeth Commons entirely residential, but there are no concrete plans at this time.

WTJU, the University's student-run radio station, will soon move its studios out of Lambeth Commons, where the station is currently located.

University officials reportedly told the station they would have to move studios because the University wants to renovate Lambeth Commons to be entirely residential.

The move is expected to happen in 2018, but no plans are final. The station has not yet found a new location for the studio.

“Nothing concrete to report yet,” General Manager Nathan Moore said in an email statement. “We're presently exploring options.”

The University is assisting the station in finding a new studio location, according to University spokesperson Matt Charles.

“The University is working with the station to identify a new space that will meet their needs,” Charles said in an email statement.

WTJU has been broadcasting since 1957 and began as an education station that focused on classical music. Today, the station continues its goal of education by broadcasting stories as well as classical, jazz, folk and rock music.

WTJU also does more than just broadcast. WTJU will be hosting the Freefall Music & Art Series in the fall, a series of free concerts at the IX Art Park. The free concerts will take place every Saturday during September and October.

Published July 16, 2017 in News