The Cavalier Daily’s new website launches Thursday

New features include Facebook comments, easy social media sharing, clean look

<p></p>

The Cavalier Daily has set the course to continue to be the best news source for the University community. One of those efforts has been redesigning our website to make it user-friendly and easy to share articles and columns.

On Thursday, The Cavalier Daily will launch a brand new website that includes many new features and logos.

First, the new website will look much different than our current website. It will be cleaner and easier to navigate articles, columns, sections and photo galleries. Every section will be featured on the homepage so that all sections are accessible and prominent on the front page.

One major change coming is the commenting system at the end of articles and columns. Previously, The Cavalier Daily’s website housed a commenting system called Disqus that allowed users to enter an alias and comment anonymously — subject to their comments getting approved based on our comment policy. Now, our website will use the Facebook comment plugin, which means comments can either be written directly from the website or comments will pulled from the article or column shared on The Cavalier Daily’s Facebook page. The Cavalier Daily staff voted this past spring to implement this change to open comments to social media and to add more accountability to comments.

The search function of the Cavalier Daily website will also be improved and it will be easier than ever to find past articles and columns. Users can simply search authors, headlines or a certain time period to find a particular article or a list of articles matching their search.

In addition, our advertising has also been enhanced. The website will now feature a new advertising option called sponsored content. Sponsored content is designed to allow businesses, CIOs and University groups and departments to advertise with a 500 word article. Sponsored content articles can be about anything that fits into 500 words — events, information, sales, etc. Pictures and videos can be included in the 500 article as well. Sponsored content will be featured at the bottom of the homepage and will be left up for a designated period of time. For more information about sponsored content please contact ads@cavalierdaily.com.

Related to our website, The Cavalier Daily will also introduce advertising through Facebook. Businesses, CIOs and University groups and departments will be able to advertise through our Facebook page with postings that include an image or video and a brief sentence or two. We currently reach over 50,000 people on a typical day and 100,000-200,000 people on a high traffic day through our Facebook page. For more information about Facebook postings please contact ads@cavalierdaily.com.

Providing a new, fresh website to our readers will provide a better experience when keeping up with University and Charlottesville news and perspectives daily. And be sure to pick up our first weekly print newspaper with our new logo and design on Tuesday, Aug. 22.