White nationalist Christopher Cantwell turns himself in after UPD obtains arrest warrants

Man who appeared on 'VICE News Tonight' was wanted for three felonies related to torchlit march through Grounds

<p>Cantwell being interviewed by “VICE News Tonight” correspondent Elle Reeve.&nbsp;</p>

Cantwell being interviewed by “VICE News Tonight” correspondent Elle Reeve. 

Update: Christopher Cantwell turned himself into the Lynchburg Police Department Wednesday.

White nationalist Christopher Cantwell has turned himself in after the University Police Department obtained arrest warrants related to the white nationalist torchlit march through Grounds on Aug. 11, which turned violent when white nationalists and counter-protesters clashed at the statue of Thomas Jefferson north of the Rotunda, resulting in numerous injuries.

Cantwell turned himself into the Lynchburg Police Department Wednesday and is being held at the Blue Ridge Regional Jail until he is transported to Charlottesville.  

UPD obtained the warrants on the grounds of “illegal use of tear gas, phosgene and other gases” and “malicious bodily injury by means of any caustic substance or agent or use of any explosive or fire.” 

Both of the charges are felonies.

“These warrants stem from incidents on the University of Virginia Grounds during the evening of August 11th,” a release issued Tuesday said. 

A photograph from the torchlit march appears to show Cantwell pepper-spraying a counter-protester. 

Cantwell gained national recognition when he was featured in a widely-shared VICE News Tonight episode on the Aug. 12 “Unite the Right” rally. 

UPD asks for witnesses and victims of the Aug. 11 torchlit march on Grounds to contact the department.